Rescued Battery Hens

• 10 Replies

JohnVW

Rescued Battery Hens
« on: September 04, 2009, 10:12 »
What is the likely egg production from newly rescued battery hens likely to be.  Will they still provide a reasonable number of eggs.  Any advice or information gratefully received. John

JEZZIE

Re: Rescued Battery Hens
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 10:22 »
We rescued 6 ex-bats back in June, they have settled in really well, but only 2 are laying.
I am not sure if the others will lay again, they maybe all laid out.  I think it all goes with the luck of the draw. J

bexy

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 11:01 »
Hi I have had 5 ex batt hens since May this year.
They was featherless when i got them. :ohmy:
At first i was getting 2-3 eggs a day now i get 5 most days and sometimes 4 :tongue2:

mollie15

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 11:11 »
Hi I rescued 3 ex batts a couple of weeks ago, and have had 2 -3 eggs every day since having them!  Its lovely watching them come.  Go for it!!!!

janet12000

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 12:06 »
I think it's fair to say that when taking on ex batts, you have to remember that they were destined for the chop because they had reached the end of their prime egg producing life.
Some may never lay again. My 4 lay no eggs some days and all 4 lay on other days!
I think if its loads of eggs you want, ex batts are probably not the best choice. x

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 12:14 »
I've got eight ex bat girls and as the others have said it really is the luck of the draw. Some days I get 7 eggs and some only 4 but anything is a bonus it's just nice to see them have freedom and a nice life rather than being caged and put into chicken pies :(
Sometimes you have to accept that somedays you are the pigeon and somedays you are the statue!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 12:55 »
Like the others have said, it really is whether you are lucky enough to get a few hens that are not totally egged out.  the last lot of 75 we had laid well for a while, but by the end of 6 months I was getting 6 eggs most days!

My egg customers were complaining, so I re-homed them and bought some POL's. :) (re-homed the ex-batts not the customers!! lol)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 13:40 »
My 8 ex batts laid 8 eggs the first day home!

Since then anything between 3-7, averaging 30+ a week.

With ex-batts always remember that eggs are just a bonus.

jackieb

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 15:04 »
I have 6 (four from June rescue and two from 22nd August) and I'm getting 5 or 6 eggs every day.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 15:09 »
Hi, i also have ex-batts (and they are fab :D) i agree with other people on here,
1) As far as the farmer is concerned the hens are past their best laying wise, thats why they are going to slaughter
2) they have been bred to lay, they have not have good nutrition, they have had no exercise, no sunlight, and kept in awful conditions. they are obviously not healthy when they are freed, the shock of the rescue may send them into moult, or even be too much for them
3) really, as they are in retirement it would be best for the girls if they could stop laying for a while, just to get their strength back, unless you force a moult,(which is stressful) you cant really do that, but you shouldnt bank on these girls laying .
4) if its eggs you want, i would not go for ex-batts. Dont get me wrong, we have been delighted to recieve eggs from our girls, and our girls have laid brilliantly, but you cant and shouldnt bank on it. the most important thing for these girls is to live out their retirement in comfort :D
if you do decide to still get ex-batts they will bring you so much pleasure, i have lovedwatching mine grow in confidence, weight and feathers...they are gorgeous and i would swa them for all the tea in china! :D

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 16:36 »
I'm getting a regular 3 eggs a day from my 4 ex-batts - but I've only had them four days so far!  :tongue2: I'm really surprised, as I thought they might go off lay while they settled in ... two of them have definitely laid every day, not sure who laid what of the other two.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

xx
Anyone rescued battery hens?

Started by beki on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 19:11
by Wildeone
xx
rescued battery hens

Started by Deano27 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 07, 2008, 09:56
by ck2day
xx
New chucks - rescued battery hens.

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 15, 2007, 22:11
by Fat Hen
xx
Daft question about rescued battery hens

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post September 19, 2007, 16:05
by muntjac

Page created in 1.585 seconds with 36 queries.