Thinking about fruit trees now

• 8 Replies

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
Thinking about fruit trees now
« on: September 04, 2009, 09:01 »
Hi all

After my great successes of the veg plot this year i have cleared the side of my garden to grow things against the fence. 

Im thinking i would love to grow apricot, Cherry and fig.  I live in Essex so was thinking maybe the fig was going a bit far?

I am really looking for any advice on which varieties to choose for apricot i was looking at either "Gold rich", "Large early apricot" or "Tomcot" for cherry i dont really know but have seen a lot of the "Morello" or Stella", the fig i was thinking of "Brown Turkey".

I have just read that if i want a fig bush then i would need to fleece it everynight in cold spells, this isnt something i would want to do, i dont mind putting effort in but i wouldnt want to have to put my trees/bushes to bed everynight then not manage to one night and risk loosing my efforts.  So i kind of think a fig is too much and maybe i could get a dual apple instead?

Can anyone suggest how easy/hard apricots and cherrys are, are they likely to ripen in the uk?

I would probably espalier train or fan them to a degree, ive never done it but am happy to try, just to save space really.

Also any good internet suppliers without having to spend a small fortune?

Thanks to anyone who could offer any advice.
Many thanks
Emma

polly nator

• Experienced Member
Re: Thinking about fruit trees now
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 11:34 »
FIGS
Many years ago I gave my parents what looked like a little bare twig - actually it was Fig (Brown Turkey) and I got it from Rogers Nurseries in Pickering.

It was planted in a sunny sheltered spot in their garden in YORK. ie the far north compared with Essex!  Despite receiving no special attentio the tree grew very very quickly and it wasnt too long before they were getting crops of ripe figs.

Sadly my dad is no longer with us and my mum went to live with my brother a few months ago  but I go and potter around in the garden. On Wednesday this week I was picking super-ripe figs to take to my daughter. Ripe figs are also falling and the wasps are feasting.

So.... I reckon if you find a sheltered and sunny spot, why not try a fig. The trees and leaves are very beautiful too. You may want to limit growth by restricting roots  but I am sure you could get a lovely crop of figs. Just be patient!

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 12:35 »
I thought about restricting the roots by planting it in a large pot - the thing that put me off was that one site said to dig it up each year and put it into a greenhouse or fleece it daily. 

If your parents' tree wasnt fleeced and survived then theres hope for me yet.  The spot i have in mind isnt very sheltered but is our sunniest spot.  We are an end terraced house most of the gardens have half fence panels but the one for the trees is full size so it may well be exposed to winds.

We have our grape vine on the same fence line that this year has produced fruit, ripening - not so sure yet - but its the first proper year of growth.

Thanks for your response, ill give it some more thought.

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 12:50 »
No, definitely no fleece or digging up and putting in  greenhouse. They just stuck it in the ground and that was that!  Just to the right was  a six foot fence and about three or four feet behind the tree is the brickwall of a garage.  Its not facing south exactly but does get loads of sun. 

I would think that if you put it in  a pot it might be more liable to getting frozen  hence advice re fleece. 

Next time I go round to the house I will photograph it for you and post here

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 22:49 »
Hi I'm thinking on the same lines I'm replacing a south facing fence with an edible hedge but the last 8 ft is a very narrow about 6"  raised border. my neighbour suggested trellis, I could train a fig against it , it gets sun all day and is sheltered near the house. Would I need to line the trench or would the width restrict it enough.
Love the idea of fresh figs and fig jam. ummmmmmm
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

m1ckz

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 07:52 »
there are loads of fig trees around my area of essex,so sure , they will grow well,im in southminster, but they grow quiet big, gl mick

noshed

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 10:15 »
They grow well in E17. No fleecing etc.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Babstreefern

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 19:36 »
I've fot a conference pear, stella cherry and scrumpcious apples and all doing great.  The plot I have had a fig tree in a greenhouse and was doing well, but I don't like figs, so gave it to anyone who wanted it.  The chap who took the next plot, he would dig it up (he has special machinery to unearth trees),  he did this and took it to the local golf course where he works as one the greens manager (or something like), and that was last year, he just told me a couple of weeks ago, that its doing fantastic (even survived after that very cold spell we had last December).  This is Manchester, so if a fig can live here, it will certainly do well in Essex :tongue2:
Babs

SG6

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 21:51 »
There was something about this a few nights ago. Didn't really listen as I cannot stand apricots.

If I recall the information was that there are new varieties of apricots suitable for the UK and that the best had names ending in "cot". As in Gold Cot etc.

Think that was what was said, but as I said I cannot stand the things, hate the smell, taste and texture, not sure on the look of them either :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:, so never took the information in.

xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.693 seconds with 37 queries.