Marking eggs - advice please

• 10 Replies

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
Marking eggs - advice please
« on: September 03, 2009, 17:34 »
Hi all - some of my girls just aren't pulling their weight. I'd like to find out who is laying and who isn't. I don't have the wherewithal to install CCTV but I have heard about marking their vents with food colouring.

Has anyone done this? Can you give me any tips please. I suppose each morning I paint the vent and any egg gets streaked with colour. But won't they poo it all off before the egg arrives?
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

poultrygeist

Re: Marking eggs - advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 17:52 »
 :blink:

Try it and let us know  :D

Rob 8)

archiesgems

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 19:00 »
never heard of that one. you could put strips of cloth with chalk on over the entrance to the nest boxes, that way who ever goes in will get dusted

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 20:38 »
Will do Rob. God knows what they are going to think when I upend them and slosh dye on their backsides  :wub: That and crawling along 60ft of hedge bottom trying to find where that damned silkie has been hiding her eggs for the last two weeks is going to make it a fun filled weekend.

That's another thing - how small a space can a silkie utilise for laying?  :wacko:

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 23:37 »
Apologies if this is a silly question, but do you have lots of chooks all the same breed? We have 4 different hybrids laying and their eggs are instantly distinguishable. So no need for bluebottoms!
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 23:54 »
Yes sadly I have three hens who lay virtually indistinguishable brown eggs and three who lay totally indistinguishable white eggs!! and these are the girls who are not delivering as well as they have been doing.  I am trying to fathom out if there are specific ones who are not laying, or whether they are all having more days off than they did.

I don't really know why it matters to me so much but it does. Aside from feeding them all for not such a good return of course  :D

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 13:03 »
I'm told that the pros use a "trap nest box" so that a chook that lays has to wait to be let out. Probably not feasible for you if you're at work. But here's another thought, what about a little chookcam to spy on them?

Oh, just thought... maybe you can't tell the chickens apart either  :ohmy: :wacko: :nowink: :blink:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 20:27 »
Think trap nest boxes are the way to go.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 22:08 »
I'd be a little concerned about "painting"  round a chx vent with food dye and I suspect it won't work either.  I also doubt that chalk on ribbons would work either.

Trap nestboxes are the proven solution as has been mentioned.

regards
Truth through science.

archiesgems

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 08:40 »
I'd be a little concerned about "painting"  round a chx vent with food dye and I suspect it won't work either.  I also doubt that chalk on ribbons would work either.

Trap nestboxes are the proven solution as has been mentioned.

regards
I agree with the dye, if not only for the stress put on the birds having their rears painted. as for chalk marking, its a very old method that has been tried and tested for years, my grandparents were poultry and pig farmers for 60 years and it worked well for them. its also a good way of dusting your birds on a regular basis. instead of chalk put strips of hessian over the pop holes and dust with mite powder, as your birds go in and out they rub againt the cloth and dust themselves. it doesnt put much on them but enough.

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 15:34 »
I'll have to try the chalk method then.

Regards

xx
Marking eggs - (no not out of 10)

Started by hillfooter on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 18:45
by poultrygeist
xx
Marking eggs with a date

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 00:05
by TeaPots
xx
Date Marking Eggs

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 18:40
by alotment shed
xx
Marking eggs and chicks

Started by gsc on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 22, 2010, 09:28
by gsc

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 36 queries.