The calm after the storm

• 10 Replies

Sideways

• Experienced Member
The calm after the storm
« on: September 03, 2009, 14:51 »
I find myself staring at an increasing amount of blank soil on my plot with a growing feeling of satisfaction and contentment. My broad beans and peas and gone, the last of my spuds have been dug up and stored, all my carrots have failed ( :happy: will try again), the gaps between my turnips and onions continue to grow and the remaining veg is happily doing its own thing in their weed-free, tidy rows.

My first year as an allotment holder is almost complete (took on plot last Oct). I have begun preparing the soil for next year, have planted a few collys for over-winter and plan to plant some more broad beans sometime in Oct. My leeks are looking good and my sprouts, cabbages and kale are growing well.

I quite like this calm period, I feel like the pressure is off and things are as they should be. Time to potter, tinkle, relax.

It’s too early to think about next year, I’m happy with here and now.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 16:46 by Sideways »
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: The calm after the storm
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 14:58 »

It’s too early to think about next year

Is it?

Garlic ordered, winter onion sets bought, spring cabbage need potting on ........................
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

beansticks

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 15:15 »
Already planning a major overhaul of my plot,large raised beds will become more smaller raised beds.

zazen999

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 16:15 »
I don't get calm; I get a new bed nicely hand rotavated and weeded ready for more thanks to the OH.

I've had one bed empty for 4 days now; if it wasn't for the wind it would have had more sets in today.....but my t-shirt kept blowing up every time I bent over so it will have to wait. I didn't want to frighten the dog walkers.

None of my beds are empty over the winter....if it hasn't got something in, it gets green manure sown. Can't have empty beds  :happy:

Sideways

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 16:34 »
Chill guys, wheres the fire?  8)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 16:40 »
Oh, there's no rush, but remember the hare & tortoise?

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 17:14 »
T-shirt blowing up??? You should be here today. God has got his pressure washer on full strength - you would get a spectacular wet t-shirt contest in 2 secs flat if you could bear to wear one (no pun intended)! My windows have never been so clean!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

zazen999

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 18:19 »
T-shirt blowing up??? You should be here today. God has got his pressure washer on full strength - you would get a spectacular wet t-shirt contest in 2 secs flat if you could bear to wear one (no pun intended)! My windows have never been so clean!

I took the window of opportunity whilst I had it. I usually depod my beans on the lottie but they came home with me today.

I think I'd go mad if I didn't have something to sow/transplant/harvest each month.....seasonal eating at its best. November is the only quiet month at ours.

Christine

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 08:04 »
Hells bells, I thought that the harvest was the calm before the storm of winter work that always needs doing ready for next year.   :lol:

I've a list of jobs a mile long after the major harvest is done what with the compost heap work needed, the clearing of the flowers once the frost takes the last of them, the clearing of beds and soil preparation, scrubbing of plant pots ...

I'll swear I work harder over the winter than I ever do the rest of the year.

zazen999

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 09:34 »
Exactly; preparation is key. I made 6 new sides for my raised beds yesterday - in preparations for better paths at the lottie this winter.

Problem with empty beds is the weeds love them.........

Christine

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 18:16 »
Ah those weeds need to be on the compost heap  :D

xx
Storm Malik

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 18, 2022, 18:34
by cc
xx
devastating storm

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 10:52
by Beetroot queen
xx
Summer Storm

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 21, 2016, 19:15
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.653 seconds with 36 queries.