Thinking of having a cockerel?

• 26 Replies

mollie15

Thinking of having a cockerel?
« on: September 03, 2009, 09:21 »
Hi
I have lots of chickens now (a mixture of hybrids. ex bats and a couple of pekins)but am thinking of getting a trio of Pekins.  Now I have never had a cockerel before, will it be ok him just having just his 2 ladies or will his advances be too much for them?  I was thinking of housing them seperate from the rest of the flock to keep them a pure breed, or should I let them all roam together.  Would a pekin cockerel try his luck with the larger hybrids?  Any advise would be appreciated!

Flowerpower136

Re: Thinking of having a cockerel?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 10:04 »
Mr Grumpy might be able to advise you? :lol:

Seriously, think a cockerel would need more than 2 ladies? and probably would try his luck with anything!  But experienced peeps will put you straight.

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 10:08 »
we have a trio of white silkies (the trotters) i thought Rodney only stuck with his 2 wives until we hatched some eggs from the ex barns (they have their own man Elwood) and we now have a Silkie x isa brown :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 10:08 »
If they've got frilly knickers then he will try it on with anything (typical male  :lol:). However a cockerel will need more than a few more than two girls.
Staffies are softer than you think.

archiesgems

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 10:15 »
Most breeders keep trio's of birds with no problems at all, but just remember to give the girls a rest from him, i take all my boys out in August and they won't go back in with the girls until late December, it gives the girls a good rest and builds their strength up for the new season. but a trio is fine. as for small cock birds treading bigger birds, they would tread an ostrich if they could get on top of her !!!!  :)

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 10:16 »
like I said typical male  :lol:

too many girls

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:20 »
If they've got frilly knickers then he will try it on with anything (typical male  :lol:). However a cockerel will need more than a few more than two girls.

so i have to keep on the lookout for a man with frilly knickers?

archiesgems

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 10:20 »
like I said typical male  :lol:

hehe oh i wish i had their testosterone  :D

tode

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 10:24 »
Our peacock will happily jump on anything with frilly feathers: guinea fowl, our little red hen etc, but draws the line at ducks  :lol:  They must be below his dignity.

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 10:25 »
I often have trios together, not a problem. Bear in mind that (like men) younger cockerels are very active compared to older cocks.
Reminds me of a joke, will have to dig it out!Aunty might shoot me if I post it though!!! :D

Briony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 10:27 »
I have a nice white man with frilly knickers free to a good home ;)

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 10:28 »

so i have to keep on the lookout for a man with frilly knickers?

Try your local rugby players they will wear anything for a laugh  :lol:

Foxy

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 10:28 »
OK rooster joke!!! duck everyone Auntie is likely to give me both barrels!!! :lol:

One day a farmer decided to buy a new rooster. He brought it home and put it with the hens and old rooster and told them to not fight. So, after the farmer leaves the young rooster taunts the older rooster. Sick and tired of the bold little rooster talking trash the older rooster says that he will race him for all the hens. Finally, after laughing the young rooster agrees to race him around the chicken coop. The young rooster sayed he would even give the elderly chump a half lap lead. So, they finally start the five lap race. The first lap the old rooster was way ahead. The second lap the young rooster was catching up. The third lap the older roosters lead was very close. The fourth lap the young rooster was only a hens length from the older rooster. Hearing a bunch of noise on the last lap the farmer comes out and shoots the young rooster and shouts, Damn that was the third gay rooster today!

joyfull

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 10:31 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: brill

mollie15

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 10:58 »
Very funny!!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the advice!  If I seperate them to give them a rest, what do you do with the cockerel, house him on his own?  Sorry for the really thick questions but I dont want to make the wrong decision by having one without finding out the pros and cons first.

Do any of you regret having a cockerel and wish you had kept to just the ladies?

xx
Thinking about it.

Started by Rangerkris on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 18, 2012, 12:29
by Rangerkris
xx
thinking of starting out

Started by legend jeff on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post September 23, 2008, 20:41
by babe
xx
just thinking about it and looking for some advice

Started by bunnylou on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 22:41
by bunnylou
xx
Thinking of getting some chooks

Started by loam ranger on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 20:10
by loam ranger

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 37 queries.