Raspberries Transplantation

• 9 Replies

braders1234

• Experienced Member
Raspberries Transplantation
« on: September 02, 2009, 14:15 »
Hi All,
Hi All,

Man next to me is sadly giving up his allotment and I have arranged to buy his raspberries of him for a small fee.  They are healthy looking Autumn bliss and are still producing fruit now (very nice it is to).  he has a bed about 2m by 2m that is packed with them.

Can i get some advice on the best way to move them from his plot to mine.  Namely the best method of doing this and how to prepare the area that I will transplant them into.  Also when is a good time to do this?

Added complication is that I am not entirely sure where to position them, is there a way to hold them for a while and then transplant later or is this too  much messing around in a brief period?

Many thanks for your help.

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
Re: Raspberries Transplantation
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 14:35 »
Sorry Bradders, don't know the answer but will watch this space, because i have a bed of raspberries i also wish to move.

Liv.

Spana

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 15:59 »
When ever I've wanted to add another row or given some away, I've dug up the new growth made this year thats out from the established row, if you see what i mean :unsure: But autumn fruiters may be different.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 16:09 »
Chop them down after fruiting, move them November/December time into a well manured spot.

(Actually I think they are fairly tolerant about moving, a few years ago I was given a few twigs in June. They've grown into a 32' hedge).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 16:20 »
I just moved a load last year (about 10 of the summer type and 10 autumn bliss) that had been cut back to twigs -

I just dug deep, got the rootball and stem for each plant (well most of the rootball as a few ripped apart!) and re-planted into wet, fertile soil. It worked fine - have had a huge crop of summer raspberries and have already had a few kg of autumn bliss.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 23:20 »
If you can wait until the Spring, find strong runners that have escaped from the row. You may have to wait until March/April before they show themselves. When they do, dig them out with some good roots. They may appear up to 6 foot from the row. If you take these rather than established plants the resulting plants will be much more vigorous. You should get a small crop from Autumn Bliss in the first year.

Once established they grow like a weed and the biggest problem is usually containing them in some sort of orderly row. Has anyone any experience of making a barrier to stop them spreading across tha plot.

Cazzy

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 23:40 »
I sat mine in a bucket of water for weeks until I decided where to put them  :ohmy:

They are fine and i'd have had a bumper crop had they been netted  :mad:
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

sclarke624

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 00:05 »

Once established they grow like a weed and the biggest problem is usually containing them in some sort of orderly row. Has anyone any experience of making a barrier to stop them spreading across tha plot.
In answer to Salmo, I grow mine successfully in a large pot, bit dark to go our and measure now but the pot is approx: 20-24" across and about the same depth.  I have three canes in each pot.  The company advised it was ok to grow Autumn Bliss in a pot.  Don't know if I will have problems later on when there are many new canes, but for now I am enjoying the lovely fruit.   But I suspect you will have far too many canes for this to be any help to you Salmo or you braders.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 06:51 »
If you do it late autumn, early winter - you'll find those runners that Salmo mentioned already on the parent roots waiting to burst forth in spring.

braders1234

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 09:54 »
Thanks for the feedback.

In summary then i should cut them back to a couple of inches after they have fruited and then dig em up in early winter - about November round here I would have thought.  Move them into the nicely prepared bed with lots of manure and compost and then wait for them to grow!

I will put them into a 2m by 2m bed similar in size to the current one but assume that I should thin them out a bit? any advice on spacing?

xx
Raspberries

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 16, 2021, 13:14
by mumofstig
xx
Raspberries

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2018, 11:25
by New shoot
xx
Raspberries

Started by totalnovice on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 23, 2009, 13:23
by tode
xx
Raspberries

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 17:46
by Trillium

Page created in 0.513 seconds with 28 queries.