Rats the size of terriers!

• 9 Replies

ladyhotspur

Rats the size of terriers!
« on: September 01, 2009, 19:01 »

Ive had a read through a large proportion of posts about rats.

I keep my girls in a stable and have problems keeping the rat population under control.
I have a terrier but to be honest the last time i put him in there after spotting a rat he just looked at it and barked a bit giving it time to run off  ???
My fella has shot a couple and a short time ago we poisoned a fair few as i found the bodies.

I can see their holes now however so obviously we didnt get them all and i want to put some poison in for them but not sure of the best way. Any suggestions welcome. Like everyone, keeping my girls safe from it is paramount.
I've bought some todayand want to go into battle with these monsters!

Roughlee Handled

Re: Rats the size of terriers!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 19:47 »
Always pick up your feed at night or get one of these.

it is a Galvanised Treadle Poultry Feeder and means that the rats will not be able to eat any feed.

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Galvanised_Treadle_Feeder.html

If there is no feed then there will be no rats.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

grumpydad

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 20:00 »
our feeders are suspended from the roof of the run on a chain, and hooked up at night so are out of reach.
rat bait is the form of blocks are pegged down under the shed, to keep on top of and mice or rats that may decide to visit
feed in the shed is in metal dustbins so they cant chew through a bag to get at it

martyn

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 21:47 »

Very effective especially with the laser sight attached and an improved silencer.
All you hear is the noise of the pellet striking the rat.

Protects my birds ok but a little difficult because the rats now only come out late.
Crush peanuts and smear them on a surface you can see clearly and the rats will pause to lick it off, giving time to shoot.

Ferrets are very useful for rats as well but he lead poisoning is most effective
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

Evansent

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 21:52 »
You should put the poison right into the rat hole as far as you can reach then block the hole with earth and stones to stop chickens or other pets from digging it out again. If the hole is reopened or another is made nearby, keep poisoning and blocking the holes until they remain blocked (ie, all dead, so not making any more holes).

This was the method my uncle used on his pig farm, where he also had 50 odd chickens; it took alot of determination and patience but it paid off in the end.

c x
It's not the years that age you, it's the weekends!!!

ladyhotspur

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 21:58 »

Thanx for the advice, i will look at the feeder option more closel and in the mean time shove that poison in!  :)
Would love to sit and pick them all off with a gun however i dont have that much time and they are clever rats!

ladyhotspur

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 22:02 »
may i add that i do take the food in every night and its out of reach for the rats, but these horrible things come out at different times of day and dont even seem that bothered when i bang on my window at them!!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 22:42 »
Ever since we started a compost bin we've been plagued by them >:(, I've put down poison in special rat tins- they haven't touched it, I did catch one in a snap trap, now they avoid the trap regardless of what bait I put in it, even my jack russell hasn't been able to catch the b*****s, so far they've not tried getting in to the chicken run, I'm worried that if I do away with the compost bin now they'll home in on the chickens.

ladyhotspur

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 08:54 »
For such vile little creatures they learn quickly. I'm not a fan of traps as last time we put one out a lil robin endd up i it  :( our fault.
My girls arent really that worried about them and ive seen dexter our cockerel run at them. euwww just talking about them makes me shudder

Flowerpower136

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 09:10 »
We're using Mk4 Fenn traps from the Domestic Fowl Trust who also provide a box called a DFT box, in which to house to trap which prevents any 'accidents', eg certainly would keep out hedgehogs etc.  Mice do get in to pinch the bait, but the trap doesn't snap for them.  It's waiting for the big guys!  So far has been very effective.

Also, we don't leave any food out overnight, and feed sacks etc are stored in the house.

xx
rats .rats and more blooming rats

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 11:40
by muntjac
xx
Perch size & Nest box size

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 20:22
by karlooben
xx
Rats

Started by Chrissie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 19:21
by Raven81
xx
Rats

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 18:44
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 36 queries.