Plot available - do I take it??

• 42 Replies

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
Re: Plot available - do I take it??
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 18:01 »
What happens if you don't take it?  Do you just get removed completely from the list or do you go down it a bit?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 18:03 »
Ever heard of a rhetorical question, Gb?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Parsnip

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 18:24 »
I'm with pompey spud. I use my garden for the toms, peppers, salad stuff, That way i don't have to go up everyday for bits to eat. Grow the bigger crops on the allotment. You'd be surprised how much space gets swallowed up..

Do it, do it, do it 8) ;)

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 18:27 »
Ever heard of a rhetorical question, Gb?

Yes DD, I have heard of a rhetorical question!!!

It is a good job we all do not post such!!!

Otherwise what is the point??

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 18:32 »
Ive just found out that i got another half plot that my limit now 15 rods i think 10mx 10m  12m x 9m  and 10m x 10m for me now, its something about the challange for me its got so much stuff piled up one end and it will be so great to see it change over the next few weeks.

Go for it we got our first half plot in january now we are maxed out hahahahahaha.   
Thanks
Kris

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 18:43 »
Come on guys lets not argue, we're supposed to be here to help each other :o)

I can see what you're saying in one way GB but then on the other hand if these people were so desperate to have a plot would they not have put their name down sooner?  Unless of course they've just moved or something unavoidable.

Maybe matt80 was asking himself the same questions you mentioned and that was why he wasn't sure?  Maybe as he has his area at home now he was possibly thinking that it might be better going to someone else?  Or maybe he just wasn't sure he'd be able to manage both and was just looking for a bit of reassurance?

I understand what you wrote, but I think, possibly, you might have been able to phrase it a little better? and that is possibly why you've had a few "comments".

I'd expect the majority of responses on here to be a resounding yes to the original question, given that most people have a grow-your-own area at home or allotment, and thoroughly enjoy it so advising against taking it probably goes against the grain for most people :o)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 19:05 »
It is very responsible to consider very carefully BEFORE accepting a plot if you do still need or want it.

I am the secretary for our allotment management committee and the number of people who have been on the waiting list for years and eventually get a plot who then attempt to work it for a year and give it up because they find out how much hard work and time is involved is huge.

So now that the original poster knows how much work is involved by using his own garden as a veg patch perhaps he just wanted to bounce the question off of us before deciding.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 19:13 »
GB
It is a possibility that Matts circumstances or confidence has changed in the 18 months he has been waiting for a plot.  It is entirely understandable that he comes on here for advice as to whether to take it or not dependant on these (entirely personal) circumstances.  Sarcastic or presumptous posts are not helpful but judgemental. If you do disagree with taking a plot perhaps as a possible temporary solution then its possible to put that across in a more agreeable way.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 19:22 »
Ive just found out that i got another half plot that my limit now 15 rods i think 10mx 10m  12m x 9m  and 10m x 10m for me now, its something about the challange for me its got so much stuff piled up one end and it will be so great to see it change over the next few weeks.

Go for it we got our first half plot in january now we are maxed out hahahahahaha.   

That's great news Kris  :D

Matt take note please -- that could soon be you  :D :D :D

Go for it, it'll be brilliant and you already have an outline plan of what you could grow as well  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 22:01 »
Matt, I had the same thoughts as you when I was offered my plot - my 2 large raised beds at home were serving me well and I have to admit when I saw the allotment I was overwhelmed at the size of it and asked if I could just have half. I rang my  Dad to tell him I thought half would be more than enough and he told me to go straight back and have the whole lot - he wasn't wrong, it's now full to capacity. I know you've a half plot, but you won't regret it - good luck! 

Babyshoes

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2009, 22:31 »
I would say take it and see how you go - we felt very overwhelmed by the size of our half plot at first, which we got about this time last year after about a 2 year wait, but were soon running out of space and are now hoping we can get another half plot - various squashes always take up any space you are not using (and sometimes space you are using, as I have learned with BNS!). You can plant them through that black weed supressant fabric in any ground you haven't been able to clear yet, and you can grow unusual varieties that are either expensive or not available in the shops.  They don't need much attention apart from the odd feed and weed! You can also plant fruit bushes for soft fruits that are so pricey in the shops, like currants, blackberries, gooseberries and raspberries. They are also fairly low maintenance from day to day and quite hardy once they get going. Some people also have a lot of success with strawberries, but I believe they do require more watering in dry periods than other fruits.

I must point out here that we both work full time, so only manage to get to the allotment about once or maybe twice a week, and the weeds sometimes seem to be winning, but all it takes is the odd extra couple of hours at a weekend to get them more or less under control for a little while longer.  :wub:

It might be a little more difficult for a single person (you don't say if you have a partner to help) to manage a half plot though, unless you have more time than we do! I like the suggestion of sharing with a friend - why not ask around at work if someone else would like some of your space - half of your plot will be about 2 large beds or 4 small ones, assuming it is the same area as ours! Also remember you don't have to use it all at once - cover a large section of it with something to suppress the weeds for a year and slowly dig and plant in the other section, then gradually dig the covered section.

Our allotments have a rule that by the end of the first year you are supposed to have half your plot in use, and 75% by the end of the second year. It is not strictly enforced as long as you are making an effort, but it allows them to sort out those who are not making ANY effort, e.g. our neighbour who got their plot at the same time as us, visited once and planted one little bed then abandoned it, blighted potatoes and all! I do hope they enforce the rules in this case...

peterjf

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2009, 23:15 »
having half a plot would show that you are more then willing ,

gets you up the list , on site ,

ear to the ground to get your face known for 1st chance of a vacant plot ?????

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 00:02 »
If you take it and then find it too much you can always give it up and someone else will get it.  If you say no you have burned your boats and may not get another chance for many years. 

Go for it and approach it positively, you only live once!  You could always get a rotovator and tiller to help you if you don't fancy a lot of heavy work (but don't mind weeding!).

John

matt80

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 09:33 »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I guess I was trying to figure whether my plan to grow long standing crops on the lotty and quicker, more everyday crops at home was a good one. It sounds like lots of other people work that way, so I think I'll take the plunge! Going to see the plot tonight, so I'm not yet sure how big "half a plot" is...

Thanks again.

Parsnip

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 11:14 »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I guess I was trying to figure whether my plan to grow long standing crops on the lotty and quicker, more everyday crops at home was a good one. It sounds like lots of other people work that way, so I think I'll take the plunge! Going to see the plot tonight, so I'm not yet sure how big "half a plot" is...

Thanks again.

Don't forget the pics... ;)

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
New Plot Help

Started by Jacquelyn1401 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 18, 2017, 23:43
by juvenal
xx
Second plot!

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post October 25, 2008, 14:27
by new_2_veg

Page created in 1.186 seconds with 36 queries.