Caterpillars in my Broccoli heads

• 6 Replies

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
Caterpillars in my Broccoli heads
« on: August 31, 2009, 20:13 »
I cut my first crop of heads today but when I got them home some 1" bright green pillars were inside the head which was not to appetising for the family , I ended up cutting the heads into small sizes and using tweezers to pull them out as with a knife they seemed to hang on very well.

Anyone know what type of flying moth/butterfly they would be ?

Also spent an hour squashing the Cabbage white pillars ( the black and green ones ) on other brassicas so I have had a day of squashing today, looks like I will have to invest in some finer mash next year.

Those tiny white butterflies about 3mm in size, do they do any damage to Brassicas ?

And finally when do Caterpillars stop bothering the crops !!!

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
Re: Caterpillars in my Broccoli heads
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 20:54 »
Just looked on the internet and it looks like large and small cabbage butterfly caterpillars, now what is the best way to kill em all !!!!!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 22:48 »
Net em!

Seriously its the only way you can prevent them next year.  For now, squish them as much as you can.. I dont use any bug clear sprays, so not sure of any chemicals you can try
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 23:19 »
Net holes need to be 7mm or less. Even then the butterflies will lay eggs on any leaf touching the net so make your cover big enough.

The butterflies will continue to lay ggs while the weather is warm. Some of the later caterpillars will overwinter as caterpillars tucked nice and cosy in the middle of spring caulis/sprouters/cabbage.

The green caterpillars you are finding are small cabbage white butterfly caterpillars. The eggs are layed singly and the caterpillars are difficult to spot as they lay along the centre veins of the leaves when they are resting. Once they get into the centres you cannot see them until you prepare them for cooking.

One thing is worse than finding a caterpillar in your dinner. Finding a half of one.

titch

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 08:09 »
i simmer my broc and the caterpillars float to the top  :ohmy:
just keep breathing................

goodegg

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 14:23 »
i use (spray day) it wrks well give them a good soaking on the centre so it has a chance to soak right in to the heart

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 17:42 »
When you wash your veg that has caterpillars or other insects on, use salted water to remove them - my OH does.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
why no broccoli heads??

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 09:28
by BabbyAnn
xx
Broccoli-like heads on rhubarb

Started by banf77 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2017, 21:12
by banf77
xx
Caterpillars on my broccoli - help!

Started by Vagabond on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 25, 2016, 23:19
by Vagabond
xx
cabbage heads

Started by leeky on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 13, 2007, 12:57
by piskieinboots

Page created in 2.555 seconds with 36 queries.