red mites <house move and chck

• 2 Replies

suep

red mites <house move and chck
« on: August 30, 2009, 08:47 »
The mum of our 9 week old chick died three days ago.  Chick is now on her own in the cage, and is our only remaining chicken, as we gave the others to my daughter prior to out moving house in 1 week.

Chick has only ever been with her mum, having been attacked by the other chickens when I introduced them all three weeks ago.  She doesn't look sick, and is eating and drinking, but her tail is down and she is very quiet (having always been a very noisy and spoiled chick!). .Chic Chic is now set up in a new till we move home ( puppy crate ) on table outside of kitchen window.This way she can see us all (us is 4 dogs three cats me and my hubby).I know she is lonely but we are moving next week so i have to leave getting her a new pal till then .
I feel so bad at losing her mum as I think it was my neglect that coursed her death .Im bit short sited and didn't see that there were redmite in the hen house.I always put redmite powder down when I clean them out and thought that that was going to keep them at bay .After I found mum dead I had a really good look around and was horrified at what I saw in the house .I feel so ashamed that I  had not spotted this before.
I am now trying to deal with the problem of killing the little horrors .I started by presser washing the house then blow torching the gaps then spraying it with bird cage spray that is suppose to kill them but they still keep coming  If I cant kill them before we move next week I will have to order a new house as I cant put this one on with all our things .I feel like the little horrors are on me all the time now as it is .The house is only a few mouth old so I do not now know what to do .

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
Re: red mites <house move and chck
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 09:01 »
what a time you've had  :(

Ret mite are very difficult to spot but at least they don't live on the hen so your chick is safe for the time being.

We have a 6x8' shed and got red mite, I found them where the perches joined.  I bought poultry shield and gave the whole thing a good spraying, any joins I could loosen, I did.
Then I used Diatom powder and liberally dusted everything.  I did this for 4 consecutive weeks and it cured the problem, I know you don't have that amount of time though. 
Is there any way you can wrap the house in plastic while you transport it?  You don't say what size it is.  Even numerous rolls of cling film wouild be cheaper than a new house!
In the mean time try to get something to keep spraying and dusting the house.  It will work but takes a little time.  Good luck.
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

themagicaltoad1

Re: red mites <house move and chck
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 20:52 »
If your chicks only 9 wks old it must still be very small could you not get another one of similar size to keep it company in the crate, it must feel very lonely. 2 little ones can't be any harder to move with than 1?

xx
House move and Myco

Started by kitkat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 01:10
by hillfooter
xx
mites in my house

Started by kbrown on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2016, 23:23
by grinling
xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
Who to move

Started by Craig69 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 14:11
by joyfull

Page created in 0.548 seconds with 36 queries.