Growing Cauliflowers, Please help Me !!!

• 19 Replies

Chappers

• Experienced Member
Growing Cauliflowers, Please help Me !!!
« on: August 27, 2009, 17:35 »
Mine started off ok, heads got to about the size of a grapefruit and then they opened up and that was the end of that  >:( 2nd year running this has happened

Can anyone who manages to grow them sucsessfully give me an idiots guide as to prep/veriety/best time to plant and after care

Many thanks Paul
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 17:40 by Chappers »
Chappers

27th on the waiting list !!! NOT

Now a 1/3 plot owner :-)

lisa80

Re: Growing Cauliflowers, Please help Me !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 17:45 »
i had same problem and was told to make sure i firmed the ground round them down well when planting in ,one person said they used to go round them with a garden roller!also to bend leaves over the head to protect it you can also used a rubber band. im still new to this but im sure someone will be along with some more advice soon :) :)

goodegg

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 17:57 »
to grow caulis well you need to firm them in really well,when you plant them stamp on the soil all around the plant, if they are at all loose they will go to seed very early. and plant them an inch deeper than what they were originally. good luck.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 18:16 »
Never could grow caulis, apart from winter due to club root.

Tried a variety called "Clapton" this year - club root resistant.

Grew them under debris netting which provided some shade.

Sowed the first batch on 7th January and cut nearly 40 caulis from them.

Just cutting the third sowing now and they're just as good.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Weatherwatcher

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 19:11 »
to grow caulis well you need to firm them in really well,when you plant them stamp on the soil all around the plant, if they are at all loose they will go to seed very early. and plant them an inch deeper than what they were originally. good luck.
Would this be a good rule of thumb for all brassicas, perhaps?

Spana

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 20:15 »
I grow caulies- won first prize at local show two years running. :)  They like land that has been well manured over the winter and settled ground, not hard ground.  Plant them right up to the first leaves and plant them out sooner rather than later .  Plants that are too big  never get going the same as if you catch it right. Firm them in well but dont over do it.   Sometimes they are slow to get going but when they start they really go, and once you see the curd start forming you have about 2weeks to perfection.  I keep mine going with the occasional liquid feed and watch for caterpillars, especially the single green one thats really hard to see.  He gets right down inside the curd and does the damage before you know hes there.    I  give them lots of room, at least 2ft each way as they are big plants but other people grow them with much less between them.  I grow the variety All Year Round

Chappers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 20:35 »
I grow caulies- won first prize at local show two years running. :)  They like land that has been well manured over the winter and settled ground, not hard ground.  Plant them right up to the first leaves and plant them out sooner rather than later .  Plants that are too big  never get going the same as if you catch it right. Firm them in well but dont over do it.   Sometimes they are slow to get going but when they start they really go, and once you see the curd start forming you have about 2weeks to perfection.  I keep mine going with the occasional liquid feed and watch for caterpillars, especially the single green one thats really hard to see.  He gets right down inside the curd and does the damage before you know hes there.    I  give them lots of room, at least 2ft each way as they are big plants but other people grow them with much less between them.  I grow the variety All Year Round

Ive heard this type mentioned b4, when is the best time to plant them out or can it be done any time as the name would suggest.

cheers Paul

Spana

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 22:48 »
Well I only plant them out in the spring April -May time as my land is too winter for overwintering. They freeze well and we make do with that.
BTW Chappers , is that a big carp in your avatar, i grow them as well, well I'm trying to :wub: :lol:

m1ckz

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 02:44 »
i tried them this year,they got a small head then just stopped growing,the small head went a strange brown colour an grew no more,any ideas ??

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 05:40 »
m1ck
Once the flower has appeared thats it that is all you are getting if it is golfball sized it will grow no more it is no good sitting and staring at it that is all your getting, when the curd starts to crack cut it, as for going brown IMO the main cause is slugs browsing the head if its a desent sized cauli you can trim the brown off and still have a good meal.

m1ckz

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 06:40 »
no it wasnt big enough to eat    under an inch across  an that was all 10 plants  ha haaaa, oh well next year  thanx

Chappers

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 12:33 »
Well I only plant them out in the spring April -May time as my land is too winter for overwintering. They freeze well and we make do with that.
BTW Chappers , is that a big carp in your avatar, i grow them as well, well I'm trying to :wub: :lol:

Its a 37.5lb mirror carp  :D, wish my caulies were that big !!!

beansticks

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 13:11 »
I am fortunate enough to grow pleasing sized cauliflower,the variety that a few people on our site tried this year was Candid Charm,we all had very good results.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 13:26 »
Well I only plant them out in the spring April -May time as my land is too winter for overwintering.

Winter gets very wintery here as well, but my best ever ones were Winter Pilgrim, as they avoided the club root.

Spana

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 17:21 »
Well I only plant them out in the spring April -May time as my land is too winter for overwintering.

Winter gets very wintery here as well, but my best ever ones were Winter Pilgrim, as they avoided the club root.

::)Ooops :lol: That should by too wet for overwintering, silly me :lol:

Chappers, any idea how old that fish is?

xx
Growing cauliflowers

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 19, 2007, 21:23
by Flying Cyril
xx
growing winter cauliflowers

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 21, 2019, 17:39
by rowlandwells
xx
Growing Cauliflowers Under Runner Beans

Started by MyAchingBack on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 03, 2012, 15:36
by Trillium
xx
cauliflowers

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2008, 09:42
by essexpaul

Page created in 0.854 seconds with 37 queries.