Holes in my tomatoes

• 23 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Holes in my tomatoes
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 10:44 »
Hi all

I have been reliably informed that these little devils are the Tomato Moth Lacanobia oleracea (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) some pics of the caterpillars can be found here:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?rlz=1C1CHMB_en-GBGB311GB311&sourceid=chrome&q=tomato+moth&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=HA2iSsLGFuKj4gaWw9zvCQ&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1

Essentially they can be brown or green with a bright yellow stripe down each side of the body.

Netting will not help....................they hatch out as moths right under your plants and lay eggs which turn into the caterpillars.  ......watch out for the chrysalis when you are digging your soil.....

This is very interesting & some of the 'pillars did look a little familiar but......

I have a concrete floor in my greenhouse and use only growbags and ring-culture pots on top so I'm not at all convinced that the critters are over wintering in there. Compost is new and greehouse is usually cleaned with Jeyes fluid at end or start of new season too.  :unsure:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 14:22 »
My toms are being munched, too. I've never grown anything in the soil in our g/h, but the grow bags rest on the soil. The caterpillers def have a yellow stripe, though.

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 10:32 »
Same here. First time ever toms have tiny or small perfectly round holes in them - some on the outdoor plants and some under polythene. I'd been wondering what they were. Interesting that so many of us experienced this at the same time. Like others here, my toms had been pest free in previous years so it was quite a shock. Thanks for the advice.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 11:25 »
Same here. First time ever toms have tiny or small perfectly round holes in them - some on the outdoor plants and some under polythene. I'd been wondering what they were. Interesting that so many of us experienced this at the same time. Like others here, my toms had been pest free in previous years so it was quite a shock. Thanks for the advice.

just a year apart........ but I'm sure the information was helpful  ;)

polly nator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 18:24 »
oh yes! you're right. I'm a bit behind and backward - but it was and is useful advice. have the little blighters flown away from those of you affected last year?

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 19:26 »
I've lost a lot of my beefsteak toms to the dratted caterpillar.....caught in the act, they seem to favour the underside so you don't see them till it's too late! They made holes in the few peppers to have set too. >:(

Like Learner I'm on concrete with new compost in the pots.

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 01:43 »
I've avoided holes this year by closing the greenhouse roof vents and door early in the evening before anyone wanders along and turns on the garage & outside light (that just now happens to be in the greenhouse).

I think the light attracted the moths last year  ::)

Simple solution for me..... or maybe it's just been a different year weather-wise.  :unsure:

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 09:22 »
I'll try that if we are here next year, we have a light directly above the greenhouse, and fitted an automatic vent thinking we were doing the right thing! :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 01:13 »
I'll try that if we are here next year, we have a light directly above the greenhouse, and fitted an automatic vent thinking we were doing the right thing! :(

It might be worth a try... can't lose anything.  ;)

xx
Holes in tomatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2023, 11:18
by Anton
xx
Holes in tomatoes

Started by jarigo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 19, 2013, 10:53
by 3759allen
xx
Leek holes

Started by Marcus10 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 06, 2012, 08:01
by Madame Cholet
xx
Holes in leaves

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2008, 21:15
by mashbintater

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 38 queries.