Tell Breeder Or Not?

• 10 Replies

iwantanallotment

Tell Breeder Or Not?
« on: August 27, 2009, 02:40 »
A good friend is nagging me to tell the breeder of my 3 Welsummer chicks that 2 of them died of myco within the first week, since they came with a 14 day guarantee.
The first died after just 4 days, the second was the next day.

But I'm reluctant, because I'm ashamed. She was so proud of them and trusted them to me, she was a lovely lady.

I don't want to tell her that 2 of them died in the first week and now the last might also be sick :(

It's causing a lot of friction between my friend and me. I'd prefer to say nothing & just let the breeder think her babies have thrived.

Am I doing right? As if there ain't enough to worry about  ::)

Roughlee Handled

Re: Tell Breeder Or Not?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:23 »
Tell the breeder. 

............ they came with a 14 day guarantee.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 07:28 »
Oh dear that's a shame! I am like you and prefer to keep the peace and say nothing  :blush: but I think Myco is passed on to the egg from the parent birds (no expert as I am relitively new to chicken keeping) but from what I have read on here this is the case! (did you get it confirmed from the vet?)

I breed and show rabbits and my stock goes back for 29 years, I have been building up my line since I was 7 years old! and I really would want to know if anything was in my line that was sinister! I always send off baby rabbits to their new home with a guarentee and make sure people keep me updated with their progress... so if the lady is as nice as you say and is genuine, then she will be fine about it, she can then sort out the root of the problem (may have to restock her parent birds if she wants to carry on selling hatchng eggs).

Hope this has helped  :) in your decision

All the best Trina  :)
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

matilda duck

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 07:29 »
If you don't tell the breeder then another poor unsuspecting person  may have to!  She is a breeder and myco isn't good!  You don't have to be nasty but just say you thought you would I form her ?  

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 09:39 »
She may be unaware and be glad of you telling her there is a problem. If I was selling eggs/chicks I would want someone to tell me.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

nzdunn

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 10:17 »
I would tell her, she would probably want to know, when i got my first two girlies i brought them home and a couple of days later they had a cold, i was mortified so rang him straight away, i didnt want him thinking it was his birds as when i had picked them up and visited them beforehand they were very healthy, all his birds are, but he came straight out and treated them for me, gave one of them 70% survival but she was fine, we put it down to the stress of moving.   Id give her a ring.   nickyx

iwantanallotment

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 10:56 »
Thank you for the replies.

I do see your point that she has a right to know and would want to.

Still feel ashamed though, so I'll do it by email  (chicken) :blush:

Thanks.

grumpydad

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 12:07 »
i would tell the breeder,
i did when i lost mine, even though we had had them for 4 months, mainly because it was not something i had done, and to let them know so they could take action to safeguard their renaining breeding stock.

dont feel bad about it, it was not your fault

martyn

poppies

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 13:36 »
Hi I breed pure breed poultry and  I would prefer to know if people had problems with my birds, I always tell buyers to get in touch if they have any problems, even if its just a change of mind, but definately about illness or disease.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 21:52 »
Thanks again all for the sound advice, glad I asked you  :)

I did email the breeder, just to let her know and get it off my chest cos I've felt sooooo guilty.

Tonight I had a lovely reply, she wasn't angry at all and has offered to replace the two poor babes that died and treat any of the others I bought from her, if they show any symptoms.

Isn't that lovely? Told ya she's nice  :)
Not sure I can face having more chicks after last week, but it's a kind offer. We'll see.

Thank you  :)

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 09:39 »
Thanks again all for the sound advice, glad I asked you  :)

I did email the breeder, just to let her know and get it off my chest cos I've felt sooooo guilty.

Tonight I had a lovely reply, she wasn't angry at all and has offered to replace the two poor babes that died and treat any of the others I bought from her, if they show any symptoms.

Isn't that lovely? Told ya she's nice  :)
Not sure I can face having more chicks after last week, but it's a kind offer. We'll see.

Thank you  :)

It would be a shame to give up. Perhaps she might hold the offer open until the spring when you and the weather may feel more up to it. Just a thought. :) :)

xx
Checking Breeder Out?

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 00:33
by cluckingnuts
xx
New to chooks - looking for breeder in West Yorkshire?

Started by Foghorn-Leghorn on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 06, 2010, 08:32
by Sassy
xx
Hints for finding a respectable breeder....

Started by rosierose on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 18:03
by ManicMum

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 36 queries.