Feeding Wild Birds

• 7 Replies

donald.cape

• Experienced Member
Feeding Wild Birds
« on: April 29, 2007, 14:19 »
Not sure which forum so this one will have to do. Most people on our allotment feed the birds, I think it's some sort of wierd idea we have that if we feed them they will leave our veg alone. Should we still be feeding fat balls to them are they really for winter feed, any twitchers out there your help would be appreciated.

The woman in the shop gave me a funny look when I asked do you have fat balls!!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: Feeding Wild Birds
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 15:01 »
Quote from: "donald.cape"

The woman in the shop gave me a funny look when I asked do you have fat balls!!!

Bet She did  :lol: , I think the RSPB say that your not supposed to feed the birds at all during spring, summer, but that idea may now be out of date due to loss of habitat etc. I know not to feed them bread as it can choke the young.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

WG.

Re: Feeding Wild Birds
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 15:17 »
Quote from: "donald.cape"
 if we feed them they will leave our veg alone

I reckon it is more to do with attracting birds, some of which will also devour bugs in vast quantities.  :D   My garden is alive with birds & the only real menace are the blackbirds which are capable of fairly major excavations in search of worms & grubs.

We feed peanuts year round.

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
Feeding Wild Birds
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 19:34 »
I am pretty sure the RSPB recommend that you continue feeding throughout the breeding season, as it takes the pressure of the parents looking for food for themselves and gives them more time to concentrate on getting stuff for the fledglings.

If you feed peanuts you have to make sure they are in the right container so that only bits can be taken, if the  birds  get a whole peanut this can choke a fledgling.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

ziggywigs

Feeding Wild Birds
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 20:16 »
I feed the birds all year round but only fat balls in winter as they need it to keep them warm.

I don't feed peanuts during nesting time/summer in case they feed to the young ones.  At the mo i've got two great tits nesting in the Rosa Rugosa's and they are toing and froing to the bird table which it would seem is ideally placed for them.  They are picky feeders though seeming to prefer sunflower seeds.  Just as well i've planted some sunflowers for the birdies.

Ann

Feeding Wild Birds
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 22:17 »
We feed them all year as we love to see them in the garden, mostly sparrows, robins, blackbirds and starlings.  

A while back I read an article which said starlings were decreasing in numbers not sure where they got that idea from they seem to be increasing around our area.

Annie

Feeding Wild Birds
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 10:11 »
We feed all year niger seed,peanets and sunflower hearts,stopping feeding at breeding season would seem a bit harsh if local birds are partially relying on it.Also nesting times seem earlier,one pair of blackbirds are on clutch no.2 at the moment and there were fledgling bullfinches last year in september.

WG.

Feeding Wild Birds
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 10:14 »
I love bullfinches but haven't seen any for several years.  We used to see them only in the coldest snap of winter when the harsh weather drove them down out of the higher glens to the (relative!) shelter of our place.

Presumably the milder winters mean that they can stay put.

xx
wild strawberries

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 22:14
by Ian_A
xx
'wild' tomatoes

Started by Selkie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 06, 2007, 00:15
by Selkie
xx
Wild Garlic

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post May 25, 2016, 17:00
by MalcW
xx
wild brambles

Started by newbiegrower on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 11, 2007, 17:23
by stompy

Page created in 0.642 seconds with 28 queries.