Help with Village Show

• 8 Replies

robinaber

Help with Village Show
« on: August 26, 2009, 17:53 »
Being a novice, I've left it a bit late preparing my onions for the show this Saturday. Does anyone know what I could do to them to make them look less pale?

Also does anyone know how I can straighten my runner beans when I pick them?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Help with Village Show
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 21:46 »
Cant help you, but maybe someone else can? Anyone?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 22:09 »
I don't know about the onions, but I'm sure that once a bean has decided to grow the shape it is, that's it. That's why show growers have to grow so many to get a few.

I think that's why show growing sits uncomfortably for me. It's fine if the produce is used, but I know that's not the case with some.

Here's half the world starving and we want to show it off.

Sorry - I'll get off soap box.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

pushrod

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 22:45 »
Being a novice, I've left it a bit late preparing my onions for the show this Saturday. Does anyone know what I could do to them to make them look less pale?

I thought the idea was that they should look pale  :unsure: I think one of the main things is to pick 3(?) that are near enough identical in size and appearance even if it means not using your largest ones.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 16:30 »
Robinaber,

I've seen all shades of onions at our local shows.

You know already you should have pulled them earlier and let them dry and thus go golden. Dusting lightly with talcum powder is apparently what some people do to encourage an even drying/colour.  I think it speeds the process up a little too, but at this stage it probably won't make much difference.

Present them the very best you can, A set of identical and blemish free bulbs is what your after. Tie them off with raffia (google exhibition onions) and set them on rings )i use wooden curtain rings) You could cover the rings with black cloth, and your pale but perfect onions would look fantastic.

Don't chicken out of showing, it is great fun, and a top buzz if you win something. More importantly it is a celebration of all the hard work you've put in over the season.  I ALWAYS eat the veg i show. 

Very best of luck. Do let us know how you get on.
Liv.

janette

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 21:19 »
You have been given good advice for the onions as for the beans if you wrap them tightly in damp newspaper then a plastic bag and put them in fridge . I also agree that it is good to be proud of the things you grow it makes you try that bit harder. I used to think shows a waste of time but they give you a bit of a goal to aim for.

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 14:14 »
How did you get on?

Sue33

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 14:34 »

all the vegetables that were entered into our allotment show were given away to the pensioners at the club where the event is held, or you could take your own stuff back with you, none of it went in the bin  :tongue2:

philskin

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 15:12 »
hiya robinaber ideally the onions should be picked about 4 weeks before the show .the outer skin or skins are peeled off until you get an unblemished onion ,then dust with baby talk and leave for a cpl of weels this should produce a silvery skin this is what the judges are looking for   

any excuse to get the piccies out lol .as you can see the other onions in the background are fresh its the silver skin thats desired and as for runner beans they grow the way they do you cant change that sorry
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

xx
Village Show

Started by mumsy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 12, 2008, 19:58
by mumsy
xx
Yippee, a class for me at village show

Started by mumsy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 10:42
by EzLou
xx
I'm new - from a village near Bedford - what should I grow?

Started by Folderol on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 10:12
by Christine
xx
Village Good Life....

Started by poultrygeist on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 19:14
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.677 seconds with 36 queries.