ILT OR MG

• 23 Replies

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
ILT OR MG
« on: August 26, 2009, 17:39 »
Hi all
I need some help i have a hand full of chickens that have either ILT OR MYCOPLASMA GALLISEPTICUM. there on antibiotics at this time so what i need to know is should i cull all of the chickens because they will all have one of the above diseases and will never really be infection free and there eggs and meat would also be unedible well i think you can still eat the eggs because its not pasted through hen to egg.. And should i knock down the chicken pen/house and destroy it and do all the necessary biosecurity stuff that goes with it all.
if any one could shed some light on this it would be great.

regards
alan
if you have chickens you have rats

iwantanallotment

Re: ILT OR MG
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 17:48 »
I'm not an expert drumcrow, but have just had a MG situation here, lost 2 youngsters to it but thankfully the 3rd is thriving.

I wouldn't cull - you shouldn't breed from them as they will remain carriers, but the eggs are fine to eat once antibiotics are finished.

Hope that helps.

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 18:04 »
i know nothing of these probs as i havent had to deal with them but if it is safe for u to eat the eggs after wards make sure you give at least 14 days after the antiboitics have finished just to be on the safe side .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 18:09 »
how long does it last i heard it could take up to 6wks i have read lots of info on ILT and MG and the out come isnt good. could you tell me a little more about your 3 sick chucks and what you did about it.

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 19:02 »
Could you let us know of the symptoms they are presenting with?? :)

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 20:14 »
they are showing the signs of ILT but with out the blood they'er sneezing, making gurgling sounds open mouth maken cccuuuwwww sounds eyes closed and shaking there heads but like i said theres no blood while sneezing.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 20:22 »
They would probably be sneezing with blood in the mucous if it was Infectious Laryngotracheitis.

grumpydad

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 20:29 »
try this for symptoms and treatment

www.organic-vet.reading.ac.uk

martyn

iwantanallotment

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 20:30 »
Sounds exactly like my chicks.

They were only 7 weeks old drumcrow, so maybe that's why they didn't do so well. They went downhill very quickly, & despite antibiotics were dead within a day/36 hours from the first sneeze.

The 3rd chick totally escaped the illness, no symptoms at all, but have dosed her with Baytril for a few days just to be safe.

But don't read that as all "doom & gloom" drumcrow, they were only babies remember, yours will be much stronger  ;)

Which antibiotic are they on? Ideally it should be Tylan or Baytril.

Oh BTW, ideally you should separate the infected birds from the others.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 20:49 by iwantanallotment »

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 20:41 »
Sometimes i panic, read too much stuff and think i've got to cull all my pet chooks, when in reality a lot of things can be treated, especially Myco, lots of people have had this, or their chooks have, so please dont panic, but have you seen a vet yet?
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 20:49 »
yes i have seen the vet also made regular phone calls the anti there on is called AUREOMYCIN.

nzdunn

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 20:51 »
sorry to jump in but if you do have a chook that is abit sneezy is it ok to still it the eggs before treatment

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 20:56 »
hi nzdunn If the chuck has a bit of a cold it'll be alright iam not sure if you can eat the eggs if its something much worse i read that you can cos its not passed from hen to egg.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 21:10 »
Drumcrow, fingers crossed they get through it, the vet must have thought it was worth a try to have given you the antibiotics. :)

Foxy

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 21:19 »
Hi drumcrow, and was wondering how old they are??How long has the first bird had symptoms for? How long have you had the infected birds for? Sorry for all the questions! :D

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 37 queries.