Rhubarb - hate it or love it?

• 51 Replies

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
Rhubarb - hate it or love it?
« on: August 25, 2009, 22:42 »
My new lottie has a big rhubarb plant and personally I can't stand the stuff!  None of my friends like it either and we reckon it's an age thing?  (no offence intended! - my dad loves it).

I just don't get why people use it, you need sooo much sugar to make it taste bearable is it not just more sensible to use a different naturally sweeter fruit?

pumpkinpatch

Re: Rhubarb - hate it or love it?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 22:49 »
true you do need quite a bit of sugar but it tasts so nice rhubarb pie apple and rhubarb pie i could go on for ever personally i love the stuff im shockd that you hate the stuff  :ohmy:
saying that though i like most things :tongue2:

PlymouthMaid

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 22:51 »
It's lovely in our opinion and we are 16, 22, 43 and 46 if that helps.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 22:53 »
Love rhubarb and apple pie or crumble, but dont eat it enough to spare the space...same as asparagus
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 22:56 »
i love the the stuff, when we moved on to our new plot there was a plant already growing so we now have loads( we dug it up to move it and made 4 out of 1 and moved our 1 from our old plot and we have 1 at home, and we use brown sugar to cook with ours, my other half cant have to sweet due to dieabeties... and im 40  o/h 39 and my 9yr old loves it too
zoe pattinson :)

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 23:07 »
Can you do anything else with it apart from crumble?  I can't eat anything with flour which doesn't help at all!

Would eve's pudding work?  I do an apple one with a sponge substitute on top, tastes lovely and other half says you can't tell it's not proper sponge, lot of flour substitutes just don't taste nice.

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 23:24 »
rhubarb crumble - lovely yum...
Death OR Cake ???

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 01:13 »
I just don't get why people use it, you need sooo much sugar to make it taste bearable is it not just more sensible to use a different naturally sweeter fruit?

Nahhh - I put 2 teaspoons in when I do it (roughly 1 teaspoon per serving). People are just used to so much sugar in their diet now anything thats not sickly sweet doesn't taste right.

I like it lightly stewed - with a just splash of milk (when I was younger it was the cream from the top of a pint ).  You'll have to guess what age bracket that puts me in  :D

Its also nice covered with thick custard.  :tongue2:

It was one of the first things I planted - its a shocking price in the supermarkets and just doesn't taste right. Have you tried some from the plant or are you basing your judgment on previous experience.

JKJ

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 01:35 »
we use brown sugar to cook with ours, my other half cant have to sweet due to dieabeties...

Hi mate,
just to check... you dont think brown sugar is any different to any other type of sugar regarding diabetes do you?

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 07:17 »
we use brown sugar to cook with ours, my other half cant have to sweet due to dieabeties...

Hi mate,
just to check... you dont think brown sugar is any different to any other type of sugar regarding diabetes do you?

hi he's not meant to have have sugar full stop but i find it cooks better and tastes better than caster/normal sugar...   :blush:

i dont put to much in just 2 spoon full..

matron

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 07:47 »
We have loads of rhubarb on our plot and give most of it away (although it was stolen this year!). You can do rhubarb fool. I gave some of ours to a work colleague and she said that she didn't need to add sugar to it. Also Jamie O has a recipe for roast rhubarb - cut rhubarb into cubes, put in roasting tin, pour honey over and roast. It sounds delicious but I haven't tried it yet.  :D

tode

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 07:53 »
You beat me to it Matron  :)
This Spring we tried baking rhubarb (I don't particularly like Rh when its been boiled to a mush), and it tastes far better, sweeter, and you still have pieces of rhubarb. Just put in Teflon baking tray, sprinkle little sugar, .... and bake until softened.
As said above, great with fresh custard.   :tongue2:  :tongue2:  :tongue2:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 08:02 »
Chuck it chopped up into a yorkshire pudding batter mix.

Add sugar to taste when cooked.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

tode

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 08:06 »
Thats an idea   :D  :tongue2:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 08:11 »
One of my grandmother's favourites. Each person can suit themselves with the sugar.

xx
Love, Love, Love International Kidney Potatoes "Terroir

Started by johnnyboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 16:14
by DD.
xx
Love, love, love - International Kidney Potato

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 12:45
by DD.
xx
I hate to say it but......

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2018, 20:04
by rowlandwells
angry
I hate tree rats.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 01, 2017, 12:57
by steved

Page created in 0.911 seconds with 37 queries.