Just been to see my allotment for first time!

• 17 Replies

detox

Re: Just been to see my allotment for first time!
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 12:31 »
 :DI also have just got my new allotment and sounds just like yours i wonder if you have bindweed on yours and how will you be dealing with it? :)

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 18:34 »
:DI also have just got my new allotment and sounds just like yours i wonder if you have bindweed on yours and how will you be dealing with it? :)

Hi,

There was bindweed yes, also noticed some on several other of the much better kept plots too.  I'm going to cut it off at about 30cm off the ground then either leave a small container or a mostly sealed freezer bag (unless it melts the bag?) with glyphosate in it and the tip dipped into it so it can absorb back to the root and hopefully kill it.  Unless there is absolutely tons of it in which case I might just put it over everything.

It's a bit hard to see what there is at the mo because there are quite a lot of tall grass type things the woman had growing and you can't really see a lot of the ground, bit of a meadow effect going on :o)

Not been down since I went to look at it, had some dramas with my alcoholic sister this week unfortunately!

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 21:32 »
I've had my allotment for 18mths now and it's been hard work but the most satisfying venture I've ever undertaken . It's a fullsize plot, 100ft x 33ft, and was v overgrown when I took it on, although there are some fruit bushes still producing. The chicken wire fencing that surrounds the plot (rabbits are a problem)  is getting infested with bindweed and I have recently resorted to spraying it with glysophate. I wait for a really still day before I do it and am hoping that eventually the bindweed will die!  :tongue2:
It grows up everything........the rasberries, currants, whatever's in the way.
Sometimes I look at the before and after photos and it makes it all worthwhile :)
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

xx
First Time Allotment

Started by nickmcmechan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 16:02
by Trikidiki
xx
Short on allotment time

Started by pottylotty1 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 01, 2018, 08:35
by Toosje
xx
First time allotment holder

Started by Stortgrower on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 15:04
by JohnB47
xx
Getting an allotment this time of year

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 22:11
by Robin Redbreast

Page created in 1.322 seconds with 28 queries.