What are you NOT growing next year?

• 139 Replies

greenmoor

Re: What are you NOT growing next year?
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2009, 18:34 »
Purple none sprouting broccoli a definite no no for us next year, also our sweetcorn is taking up loads of space for a very little return.

Will certainly be growing more beetroot, cauli, peas (i don't think we actually got one to the kitchen), kale, and spring greens.

We've treated ourselves to a s/h greenhouse last week so hopefully once i've got the base down we shall be able to take advantage of this next spring.

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2009, 20:31 »
A bit more french beans, a little less runners.  Keep the PSB and calbrese (we got great early crop of both up here - must be the rain!).  Going to drop the peas - no where near enough space to get a decent crop (will grow a few in tubs to keep my son happy!).  Everything else was great, just need better planning / successional sowing.  Definetly keeping celery (really easy and great flavour), more courgette (rubbish yield  ??? ), less lettuce, more cut and come again.  Toms outside were ok, but finally succumbed to blight thanks to rain ALL August.  Maybe just try hanging baskets next year.  1st and 2nd earlies in bags were great - still feeding us 4-5 nights a week.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2009, 20:48 »
Actually, I cannot taste the difference between, french and runner beans.
Last year, Aunt Sally Advised me not to cut runner beans into shreds.  She suggested that I cut them into diamonds.   That was the best advice |I have ever had.  !!!
So I mix french, dwarf, and purple dwarf, along with runners,  freeze them, eat them boiled, stir fry them or whatever,   -    but    -    that was the best every bit of advice I have ever been given regards beans, and now I can cope with them all, and have a much greater choice , so thank you for that Aunt Sally.  regards, Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Bombers

« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2009, 21:00 »
Outdoor Toms.... 'nuff said. Bring on the greenhouse!  ::) :D
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2009, 22:49 »
salsify and scorzonera - too hard to dig up and prepare
out door tomatoes - blight every year
carrots in the ground - tried allsorts of barriers will stick to pots up high.
snowball turnips - no-one likes them

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2009, 22:59 »
Swede, grew them this year and finally realised I don't like them.

Swiss Chard, tastes like spinach and I can't stand that either.

Broad Beans, spring planting a total waste of time due to black fly but will try them over winter. 

Paul Plots

« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2009, 23:40 »
Weeds  8)
They will grow themselves :tongue2:

Snap!!  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sclarke624

« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2009, 23:57 »
Beetroot because too much fuss and mess to cook, carrots on last warning because of taste, the hispi cabbage I grew took up too much room and didn't head up, so looking into some to grow now for digging up in april.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Paul Plots

« Reply #83 on: September 03, 2009, 00:01 »
Beetroot because too much fuss and mess to cook, carrots on last warning because of taste, the hispi cabbage I grew took up too much room and didn't head up, so looking into some to grow now for digging up in april.

Bung the beetroot in the microwave - quick and uses far less fuel (carbon-foot print approved).

You can choose to cook much smaller quantities as and when you need it.  ;)

I love beetroot - great cold or hot as a veg with roast dinners too.

veggirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2009, 13:59 »
Radishes - I can't get even one! i've planted four packets and got woody strings.
Got my allotment this spring, and aquired the other half six weeks later. I am now the proud renter of a small prairie (130' x21')
Lots of potatoes appeared from previous crop (three years ago) and this week I have cabbages appearing - and one head of garlic.
Lost all tomato plants to blight, so next year, I'll try spraying them with full cream milk - hint from Radio Cornwall. Never mind, the chutney I made was fabulous. Arran pilot first earlies best potatoes I've ever tried - maincrop very poor, so next year,I might save the space for something else - what can go in that bed?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2009, 15:18 »
salsify and scorzonera - too hard to dig up and prepare
out door tomatoes - blight every year
carrots in the ground - tried allsorts of barriers will stick to pots up high.
snowball turnips - no-one likes them

I am with you on the snowball turnips yuck  :nowink:

squirrelsdig

« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2009, 16:59 »
Garlic. It's always soft and useless.
Mange touts/sugar snap - I'd rather grow straightforard peas - then I don't forget which are which.
Cauliflowers - they always get the caterpillars.
Actually, all my brassicas are awful this year and have finished up on the bonfire. I have always had great sprouts.
Radishes - I grow them for encourangement because they always perfom quickly and well - but we don't really like them!!

sclarke624

« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2009, 17:02 »
Bung the beetroot in the microwave - quick and uses far less fuel (carbon-foot print approved).
[/quote]
How do you do your beetroot in the microwave learner.  Water no water and how long Ta.

From previous years I will never do Kohl rabbi again revolting stuff for us.  

Everyone loves my self blanching celery, I hate celery.  People say thats how celery should taste.  So I thinks to myself having only tempted tasting supermarket stuff I will give it a small go of my own as maybe it tastes totally different home grown.................My life, I badly gagged on the tiniest piece, felt sick all day, how anyone can eat celery I don't know.  I wonder if its pshycological or it really does make me gag.  It was an even stronger taste than supermarket. I can actually taste it when its added to sauces when eating out.  Although not so bad in my own sauces.  Go figure.  Anyway I will keep on growing it.

HelenaK

« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2009, 08:08 »
We have the most awful strawberries! But One kind is worse than the others so I now have to wait a year to work out which one is which! It takes up way too much space too.

The alpine strawberries rocks though! Much much muuuuch better than plain strawberries in the way that everytime (for 2-3 months now) we go to the allotment there are a few berries for my son and his friend to pick (and they keep on coming) so I will plant more than the 2 plants I got going at the moment.

Won't bother with the normal sized tomatoes. It is Golden delight all the way for us! They still perform really well even though the rest of the plots have got blight (and we have got a few signs).

More potatoes and not to get them from Sarah Raven where you get so little for your money. They tasted great though!

More broccoli (not sure what kind yet)
More tomatoes
More successional sowings (my excuse for failing this year was the fact that I had a baby in april)

I gave up on the beetroots and carrots when someone stole all of them but the second batch I planted was great. The carrots still are rubbish but my son loves pulling them up and eating them straight!

We got given 2 runner bean plants and they have been so wonderful!

Won't bother with dwarf beans, going to make tunnels between beds for my little boy to run through!

More garlic. Got white mould but still lots of healthy bulbs. Not bothering with the german Sultop though.
Purple Wight much much better, going to try the white kind too!

More fruit trees.

Absolutely no zuccini as we just don't eat it. And no marrows and no accepting of marrows!
Will try butternut squash and cucumber instead!

No Nasturtiuns in the raised bed but along the sides.

Lots lots lots more broad beans. Planted them with the potatoes this year and it did not really work out.

Lots more peas.

Need to work out how to grow spinach! It never works for me. Will try shade next year!

veggirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2009, 08:34 »
I grew spinach in milk crates this year. I lined them with a black sack, poked a few holes in it, then filled it with manure and sowed seeds. I had a great crop (until I went away and the friend who was looking after... enough said) and they bolted. Even then, the tops were great in stir fry. And... the slugs didn't find them!
Jane :D

xx
growing carrots in the same place year after year???

Started by daz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 10:22
by mtoyne
xx
First year of growing

Started by washsaint on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 01, 2007, 20:53
by richyrich7
xx
Next year I will definitely not be growing.....

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

74 Replies
Last post December 22, 2012, 21:31
by thestens
question
Growing next year??

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 23:18
by zazen999

Page created in 0.952 seconds with 36 queries.