Beans and beans

• 11 Replies

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Beans and beans
« on: April 28, 2007, 17:51 »
Finished putting the twine on our Munty's runner bean hockey stick today. Dangling tails 5/6 inches apart, 16 in all. Tomorrow I wil plant 32 runners which have grown very fast and strong since I eventually learnt how - I grew them in root trainers. two to each dangler.
Going to plant a row of dwarf french in the same bed. How close together can these be please?
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

WG.

Beans and beans
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 21:12 »
About a foot

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Beans and beans
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 21:29 »
Don't want to sound an old windbag, but it's a bit early for tender stuff outside, keep an eye out for frosts, and be prepared to cover them up.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Beans and beans
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 22:07 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Don't want to sound an old windbag, but it's a bit early for tender stuff outside, keep an eye out for frosts, and be prepared to cover them up.

Many thanks WG and RR.
I will take all the advice and wait a few weeks.
I've got a second set of 50 Kelvendon Wonder peas growing in gutter pipes; I'll harden them off and plant them out instead :D .
Jim

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Beans and beans
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 22:18 »
Good idea Jim much safer with peas unless of course you've got a million pigeons nearby  :lol:  Guess who forgot to cover his up  :oops:

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
Beans and beans
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 22:39 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"

My beans been out 3 weeks already and well advanced with this warm weather here on the South Coast...lets hope jack frost doesn't show until November now!
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Re: Beans and beans
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 23:09 »
Quote from: "Jim T"
Finished putting the twine on our Munty's runner bean hockey stick today. Dangling tails 5/6 inches apart, 16 in all. Tomorrow I wil plant 32 runners which have grown very fast and strong since I eventually learnt how - I grew them in root trainers. two to each dangler.
Going to plant a row of dwarf french in the same bed. How close together can these be please?

:roll: BUT
Next door plotter said the dwarfs should go in first because they'll get no sun when the canopy is up. Will that be a problem later :?:

WG.

Beans and beans
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 23:16 »
I assume you are planting the dwarfs to the south of the runners

(a) I reckon they'll get quite a bit of sun since the runners are well overhead.

(b) it has been posted elsewhere that beans do quite well in part-shade.  Anyone tried dwarf beans in part-shade?

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Beans and beans
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 23:36 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
I assume you are planting the dwarfs to the south of the runners

(a) I reckon they'll get quite a bit of sun since the runners are well overhead.

(b) it has been posted elsewhere that beans do quite well in part-shade.  Anyone tried dwarf beans in part-shade?

NO, WG, the dwarfs will be directly under Munty's hockey sticks so my wife can creep under the canopy picking from above and below at the same time. I seem to remember someone posting that this would be one of the advantages :roll:  :) What do you think now?

WG.

Beans and beans
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 03:47 »
What do you think now?
I think you are saying no, and meaning yes.

Jim T

• Experienced Member
Beans and beans
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 20:50 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
What do you think now?
I think you are saying no, and meaning yes.

No WG, we are going to plant the dwarfs inside Munty's framework so they would be completely covered by the runners and we have a line of sweet peas growing up the high side to give a pretty wind break.
But I only just realised that this will eventually block off all the sunlight from the French Dwarf Beans.
Do you think they will be OK - they'll get sunlight up the the time when the runners cover the top.

WG.

Beans and beans
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 21:22 »
I'd suggest dropping the sweet peas but otherwise we are saying the same thing.  Your dwarf beans WILL BE south of the runner beans and the runners WILL BE overhead.

xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
Sowing time and spacing for growing Wizard beans for beans, not as green manure

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 08:57
by Snoop
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75

Page created in 0.781 seconds with 36 queries.