Nutty Butternut

• 5 Replies

viettaclark

Nutty Butternut
« on: August 23, 2009, 13:37 »
I'm growing BNS for the first time in big pots on an old plastic table.and have already posted about flowers not opening. Well, now they are in this glorious weather so that's ok then. BUT...a scan of the masses of buds has shown there are only 2 females that I can see, both on one plant. All the rest are males.  :( Interesting that the 2 females are actually resting on the table, no other buds are?
I'm sure someone posted that they had a squash from a male flower....
Anyway, is it too late now for more buds to form and should I be proud of my 2 diddy ones?
I did snip the tips at 2/3 feet (no room!) and have been watering and feeding. Is there a miracle way to get more females?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Nutty Butternut
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 15:32 »
No miracle you just need patience :D But don't think you will have a huge crop in pots anyway, as they are gross feeders, and it's difficult to keep up in pots :unsure:

I've had no females for a few weeks and then yesterday 4 all in one go, so yes there is still time to set and ripen :)

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 16:54 »
Hi, we had all male flowers till 2 weeks ago now we have about a dozen fruits, one we did not see is about 12" but still greenish! I think they turn yellowish when ripe? Can't wait... unless someone nicks it! :ohmy:

Babyshoes

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 23:12 »
Well, there may be hope for mine then, out of 4 plants which spread everywhere we have had loads of male flowers but only today have we found a female flower with a tiny little fruit behind it. Fingers crossed that it grows and ripens, and that we get more!!

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 23:19 »
My mum always said..."Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can. Seldom in a woman, never in a man...."  ;)
But, oh, the days seem so long waiting for the butternut squash folks! At least it looks like there may be hope for more fruits!
Thanks for your support!

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 00:19 »
My mum always said..."Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can. Seldom in a woman, never in a man...."  ;)
But, oh, the days seem so long waiting for the butternut squash folks! At least it looks like there may be hope for more fruits!
Thanks for your support!

My grandmother used to say: "Patience is a virtue, virtue is a grace and Grace is a little girl with mud all over her face"...... a fat lot of good that was. Never did understand it!!  :(

I plant my butternut squash (bush and trailers) whereever there's space and then mainly forget about them other than sloshing on some water. I germinate them in pots and add loads of pelleted manure at the time of planting them out on the plot.....and maybe sprinkle on a bit more halfway through the season.

The trailing types are mostly planted in with the runner beans or on a simple frame so they have a habit (with a bit of help) of nipping up the poles out of my way (sensible things).  ;)

As for male and female flowers...... I just hope for some heat as this seems to be the trigger for the fruit to start forming. Little green stripy pear shaped things that gradually expand and then begin to turn sandy coloured as the skin hardens and they ripen.

I leave them where they are until the runner beans are finished and the poles ready to be cleared. It's good fun counting up fruits as you come across them and taking them home for storage.

Here's wishing you the best of luck...  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Help with Butternut

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 12:45
by Paul Plots
question
Butternut

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 03, 2013, 09:35
by blackberryjam
xx
butternut

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 00:22
by Paul Plots
xx
Butternut squash

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 08, 2016, 21:10
by engineer

Page created in 0.62 seconds with 38 queries.