Gasp! Worms in Poo!

• 8 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Gasp! Worms in Poo!
« on: August 23, 2009, 09:44 »
 :(  So I've ground up carrots to give them, put more vinegar in their water, and am going to the feed store to pick up some Flubenvet.  Sigh.  My husband has cleaned the wormy poo up, doused it with chlorine and buried it away from the hens reach.  I usually put their poo into the compost bin, but I guess that's off limits too for a week.  Right?  Anything else I can do to get rid of these gross little pests?  So disgusted!   :tongue2:
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

grumpydad

Re: Gasp! Worms in Poo!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 09:50 »
flubenvet seems to be a good choice, although there is verm-x as well.
some people regularly add apple cider vinegar to the water to raise the acid level in the birds to help them as well.
should be clear soon.
maybe a tonic after to help them recover ?

martyn

raeburg

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 10:24 »
flubenvet is the way to go.  try a tonic after treatment. 

LittleRedHen

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 10:42 »
Thanks!  We are off to the feed store now to buy this stuff.  I'm a bit cross with myself as I have been adding cider vinegar (the kind for horses) to their water for months now.  I guess I wasn't adding enough.   :(How do I make a tonic, please?  I really am ever so grateful for your help!

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 11:02 »
try life guard in their water, or poultry spice on their food
both good.
i use both at times, life guard i find easier as you can alter the doseage as per the instructions, light for a basic tonic, but adding a bit more to make it a bit more concentrated at times of stress.

martyn

LittleRedHen

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 13:38 »
 :mad: :mad: I can't believe it!  We went to the feed store and was told that the only wormer they had for chickens was Wor-Med.  So we bought it and then went to the garden centre.  My husband grabbed a big jug of Jeys Fluid and thought that we could scrub out the run, etc. with it.  Well, we got it home and read the fine print.  The stuff we bought is for cleaning paved surfaces and actually does not have a drop of Jeys Fluid in it even though it is in huge letters on the tin.   >:(  So we don't have the right wormer nor the right stuff to scrub down everything.  Think I'll call it a day and have a cider!   ;)

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 13:45 »
Dont worry too much about worms, they dont do that much damage unless the bird has a huge load and is suffering from some other illness, probably most of us who free range our birds have a few worms! (thats the chickens not us!!!! :) If they look healthy in all other respects dont panic!!! I worm mine once early spring and in the autumn, and I use flubenvent :)

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 14:55 »
Do you use Diatom in their feed?
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

LittleRedHen

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 16:41 »
No . . . I'm a bit of a creative sort when it comes to feeding my hens.  They get layer pellets, cracked corn, sunflower seeds, wheat, barley, groats, sardines, whole wheat bread, porridge with surprises like raisins, dried cranberries, grated cheese, olive oil, honey, garlic . . . .  just depends on what I have on hand.  Sometimes there's live culture yoghurt, small amounts of fresh fruit like watermelon and strawberries . . . the little surprises are all sorts. . . . . Every afternoon they get shredded spinach leaves.  Of course there is the sainted mealy worms . . .  :happy:  They are VERY healthy birds and spoiled rotten.  I guess that's why I was so shocked to see those little beasties this morning!  :ohmy:

I've heard of Diatom, but I thought it discouraged bugs on plants!  Shows you how silly I am!  What does it do for chickens?  I'll try it!

xx
Gasp! Soft Shelled Egg!

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 12:24
by LittleRedHen
xx
Worms in heap -good , worms in hens - bad.

Started by 8doubles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 08:37
by ehs284
sad
Help re worms please

Started by ClarefromOxford on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 16:42
by ClarefromOxford
question
worms

Started by chook-chook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2010, 18:05
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 36 queries.