Fed up with veggies this year

• 3 Replies

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
Fed up with veggies this year
« on: August 22, 2009, 14:27 »
Apart from tons of runner beans and quite a good crop of sungold tomatoes (the only ones in my humble opinion!) the veggies have been rubbish.  Out of several sowings of carrots, spring onions, lettuces and peas we have had one lettuce, 3 pea plants (now dead), 3 carrots and about 4 spring onions.  Cannot work out why nothing has germinated!  Got good drainage, everything fed, maybe it is the lack of sun!

Actually the large crop of runner beans have also been disappointing, not because of volumn - too many to keep up with, but they are stringy and flavourless.  I think the problem is that I have seed harvested for about 4 years and haven't bought new seeds in all that time, I think perhaps that you cannot keep harvesting and do need to bring in 'new stock' now and again.  Anyone got experience of this problem or can shed any light on it?

PS, Please can we have some summer next year!

FRom a grey, drizzly, damp North West Devon.  Had the woodburner going last night to try to dry out!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Fed up with veggies this year
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 16:12 »
O poor you, i've had a better year than last, harvest wise, so must not complain ::)
...apart from all the watering i've has to do :D

Can't help with seed problems, as i always buy mine in!

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 16:55 »
I wonder if the mass production of seeds to keep pace with the GYO boom has resulted in a reduction in quality. Certainly I've noticed and other people have confirmed that this years compost was very poor.

Are your runner seeds saved from 4 years ago or are they last years beans from 4 generations of bean?  It may be a case that after 4 generations the qualities you liked about the beans have been bread out of them.  Id grow from new seed next year, if you like the beans then save enough seed to last 4-5 years.

North Devon Dumpling

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 18:07 »
Runner bean seeds 4th generatioin and my Dad tells me that after time the quality will deteriorate.  It is a shame, they are pink lady and normally we can't eat enough of them.  I shant be collecting any this year and will be buying in new and will do the keeping for several years rather than yearly seed harvesting.

Interesting about seeds this year, maybe this is true, will have to perhaps be careful where I get them from.  Have sown carrot rows about 5 times and only the first came up and then only 3 of them.  Lettuces were worse.  Very annoying, luckily we have friends with a nice big polytunnel and an acre of veggie plot growing far more than they can eat as a family so we are able to 'nick'some of their produce but its not the same as it being your own.

xx
What veggies can i grow in the new year

Started by sloegin on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 09:21
by colleensj
xx
is this a bad year to be growing veggies for the first time?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 13:23
by BobE
xx
Veggies in a box

Started by JimS on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 02:23
by DD.
xx
We have veggies!

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 19:26
by Beetroot Queen

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 38 queries.