For the cat-haters...

• 12 Replies

Swing Swang

For the cat-haters...
« on: August 21, 2009, 17:24 »
The next door neighbour's cat ran out of my garden this afternoon with a great bit juicy (and dead) rat between its jaws. :)

This 'dog person' (without a dog!), does have to admit that sometimes cats do have their uses.  ;)

SS

mashauk

Re: For the cat-haters...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 17:34 »
Not always, my 17 year old cat is (I think) scared of mice now he's an OAP, I had one in the kitchen for weeks, in the end I had to get poison as the cat didn't catch it, and the environmentally "sound" poison didn't work, neither did humane trapping as it came back! I think the mouse had started eating the cat's food :blush:

tode

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 08:31 »
When you get old you become more tolerant .......

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 09:35 »
I wonder what the ratio of cat killed rats / songbirds is ....1/100.........1/200.
They may have been a great help to mankind in the past with pest control with the urban cat things have changed.
I do not hate cats, i admire them for their hunting skills there`s just too many of them.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 09:51 »
My Terrier was always a good ratter in his day, I think he's more "tolerant" now  :dry: The Border Collie loves mousing around the garden, its one of her very favourite pastimes  :happy:

P.S. I don't hate cats, I just prefer dogs  ;)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Babstreefern

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 10:05 »
I've had both dogs and cats (I now have a Mainecoon - a really big cat that weighs in at 17lbs and is still a bit on the skinny side) and a moggy, she's very petite against Merlin.  Considering that Merlin is pampered, he's caught a magpie, a rat and has demolished the local mouse population, hence the rat.  The dogs I've had have never effected the wildlife, oh, sorry, I forgot about Sheba, my long-haired alsation, she used to bring in hedgehogs - she thought they were brush-heads and wanted to play.  Sadly, though, we now have problems with pigeons, and that's one bird that the cats have never yet caught.  The cheek of them.  I got up the other day, getting ready to go to work, when I opened the door and shouted for the cats, and the damn pigeons came swooping in - they pinch the peanuts meant for the squirrel (funny really, but that is one animal that my cats don't ever bother with)
Babs

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 10:11 »
I now have a Mainecoon - a really big cat that weighs in at 17lbs and is still a bit on the skinny side

Have you got a picture?

Parsnip

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 12:52 »
I now have a Mainecoon - a really big cat that weighs in at 17lbs and is still a bit on the skinny side

Have you got a picture?

Oh yes please.

My Dad went into his garage the other day and out pottered a pigeon.

On investigating how he got in there, he found the window had been broken.. ::) So the fat pig of a pigeon had flown into the glass and smashed it and came out with a bump on his head but otherwise unscathed.. :lol:

Terrier

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 12:57 »
We don't get pigeons around us but we do get lots of collared doves (posh pigeons). I think the cats think of them as flying dinners as they seem to have no trouble catching them, the down side is they're still quick enough(at 13 years of age) to catch the nesting swallows in summer. OH put a 6 month old terrier in the shed whilst she tidied up, a few minutes later she went into the shed, the terrier was sitting as quiet as you like with a freshly killed rat next to it.  :ohmy:

tode

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 21:44 »
I didn't know that cat-haters existed !
Which planet do they come from ?

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 22:50 »
Our kitten isn't even 1 yet, but came home not long ago with a half dead pigeon in his mouth.

I was horrified, but also a little proud.  But mostly horrified.

Parsnip

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 23:22 »
Our kitten isn't even 1 yet, but came home not long ago with a half dead pigeon in his mouth.

I was horrified, but also a little proud.  But mostly horrified.

I always find the live mice most entertaining .. ::)

You know, the ones they drop that scuttle off under the sofa and cabinets  ::) You don't always notice they've done it. No,l not until you get that tell tale wiff a few weeks later... :wacko:

willowman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 08:05 »
People who hate cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
I started out with nothing.....and I've still got most of it.

xx
How to plant spuds (for spud haters)

Started by crowndale on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 12, 2007, 21:05
by crowndale

Page created in 0.794 seconds with 28 queries.