'Naturalistic' veg plantings

• 3 Replies

Swing Swang

'Naturalistic' veg plantings
« on: August 20, 2009, 10:29 »
Just a thought,

Has anyone seen a 'naturalistic' potager. I'm thinking, say, of great curving drifts of quinoa, all red and yellow in the summer sun interspersed with clumps of really tall varieties of corn, possibly climbing beans as a backdrop. A variety of intermediate mid-height plantings (say purple sprouts and beautifully flowered peas) would add further interest, and a plethora of mixed veg in the foreground interspersed with trailing squash etc.

Probably not that different to an allotment, only planned.

I think that such an informal planting would look great, but take a lot of work, and in any case I don't have the space.

Be nice to know if any public gardens have run with this idea and if I could plan to visit them next year.

Regards,

SS

Goosegirl

Re: 'Naturalistic' veg plantings
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 16:31 »
Sometimes in this life us gardeners have to forgo all the rules of, say, crop rotation, right plant, right place etc 'cos they don't have the means; and it don't always work out as you can do all the right things then someone else comes along and doesn't and gets better results - grrrrr! Take my hero Geoff Hamilton's look on life and look to your soil first, then just go for it as anything is possible and the main thing is to enjoy what you're doing as long as you get some crops and learn from it. It sounds lovely. Go to Barnsdale Gardens or read his books on Cottage and Paradise Gardens as he seemed to cram veg in all sorts of small places with great enthusiasm so it must have worked for him or he wouldn't have done it. Best of luck!!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

zazen999

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 17:43 »
Mine's a bit like that.......although I am still making the sides of alot of the beds up but it's work in progress rather than 'job done'...organised chaos  :D
15 aug 09 - 16.jpg
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 17:45 by zazen999 »

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 17:58 »
I have a squash going up across a trellis at the back of a flower border. It was mixed in with mange toutes but those are pretty much finished now. There is an aubergine, sweet pepper and tom mixed in with the flowers in front. Then in another I have a backdrop of runner beans and sunflowers with sweetcorn and shrubs in front. Does that count? Both borders are new so the veg is a good infill for the spaces where shrubs etc. are still small.

They are all quite decorative, the runners are mixed red/white/pink flowers, the aubs have great leaves an pretty purple flowers and the squash big leaves and bright flowers.

xx
New plantings

Started by simbamara on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2019, 12:49
by Goosegirl
xx
Moon Plantings

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 27, 2007, 12:14
by frazzy
xx
Multiple Plantings

Started by brahma1965 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 20:35
by shaun
xx
December plantings

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2006, 20:14
by muntjac

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 36 queries.