Query to joyfull - broodies

• 13 Replies

littlewitch

Query to joyfull - broodies
« on: August 20, 2009, 09:07 »
Sorry to be a pest, Joyfull (Lincs), but in a previous query regarding 'broody chooks' you stated :- 5. Dump her in rear end in bucket of cold water

How long does one immerse her bum for - briefly, few seconds, minute? and how often - several times a day, morning & evening.

Thanks in anticipation (may have thought, originally, that it was a daft thing to do, but the way she's carrying on, we're getting desperate!! she's turned into a right grump!!!  :tongue2:  :mad: so soonest we can stop her the better - then we'll be ready for the others should it be needed.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 15:55 by noshed »

littlewitch

Re: Query to joyfull - broody's
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 11:27 »
Does anyone else have any other tips that might help, plz?  Taking her out constantly, until all our other girls have finished laying this morning, is not helping her temperament - or our poor cocker Bella, as she seems to be the one that 'Maggie' is intent on scolding all the time! Know should prob keep Bella in, but she insists on sitting alongside the nesting boxes (outside tho) until ALL chooks are out in the garden but with Maggie still in there- there's no moving her (totally besotted, daft dog!  :wub: has been besotted & in love with our girls since we brought them home - so don't think we're gonna cure her now)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:46 »
How long has see been like that ?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 14:54 »
Sorry I don't know how long (wouldn't have though long - maybe just a dunk and then back out quickly as you don't want her catching a chill) but to stop her being broody you need to reduce her temperature,
Staffies are softer than you think.

littlewitch

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 15:30 »
Sorry Aunt Sally,  Had to do some other stuff so was offline for a bit - She started it (funny peckuliar behaviour) day b4 yesterday - but OH has 'dunked' her once 2day & closed the coop door on her again - she does seem a little bit better - at least she's mixing back with the other girls.

If she tries to go back in when I open door think she'll get another dunk just to be on safe side.

But she can only be about 25/26 weeks old & we thought that would be a bit young - but - you know what they say about females of the species.........   :wacko:

colliebird

• Experienced Member
Re: Query to joyfull - broodies
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 17:47 »
Thanks to ? (can't find the original topic :() for giving me Gaz's number.
I popped down to Holme Farm Poultry and bought 6 fertile copper Maran eggs and have slipped them under my broody Black Rock.
I just hope she keeps on being broody so that some chicks can hatch!!!

dog with chickens.gif
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 17:52 »
Hi, took grannie annie there this morning as well (spent 4 hours there - left Brian watching the incubator  :lol:).

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 17:55 »
Gaz looked at me a "bit weird" when I told him that a Grannie Annie might be
visiting LOLOLOL

x x x

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 18:27 »
any photos of your geese then?  :lol:

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 18:28 »
Hi, took grannie annie there this morning as well (spent 4 hours there - left Brian watching the incubator  :lol:).
Bet you had a fab time! What did you buy joy? or were you good!  ;) I would of come but i am sticking to my no stock in rule and if i had come i would of crumbled im sure! whats it like there? what have they got? would love a barnevelder, maybe some hatching eggs next year now!

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 18:39 »
sorry just thought I would delete the original posting after what happened to Jays birds, if anybody wishes to know what birds they have then pm me and I can give you his number  :unsure: Just to say though that it is a great set up there  :D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 19:00 by joyfull »

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 08:35 »
Just to let everybody know that Gaz has now registered on this site so you can find his details in the poultry suppliers section in the East Midlands bit (Kirton Holme Poultry), and no I don't work for him  :lol: but have bought very healthy birds and eggs off him in the past  :).

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 10:45 »

I was very impressed with Gaz's set up.  He was also extremely helpful,  I found him very knowledgeable and he showed me around.  A lot of these places just give you the birds, take your money and that's that.
Gaz explained lots of things to me and wasn't in a hurry to get paid and get away.

If you read this Gaz, a big thank you and I'll see you again soon for more birds.
I ordered some geese from a place I know just outside of town, only to get home to find a friend, knowing I wanted a couple of geese, brought me 2.  I might get the other two from in town but need to see how these two get on first.
It would be lovely to end up with a flock the size of the one I had in Switzerland, but alas, I don't have the acreage I had over there.

An Emu is very tempting, but I think I'll resist  ;)

joyfull

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 10:50 »
Me and Annie were there for 4 hours - didn't buy anything just chatting. He may not be the cheapest for POL's but they are nice birds. Next time you go let me know and we can meet up  :D

xx
Broodies and age ?

Started by 8doubles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 10:01
by Vember
xx
Broodies

Started by Fraggle on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 22:52
by Cluckyclaire
xx
can you have 2 broodies together?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2011, 14:07
by jobson336
xx
Too many broodies!

Started by Cabbie37 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 20:24
by mdueal

Page created in 0.858 seconds with 37 queries.