Sycamore hedge!

• 4 Replies

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
Sycamore hedge!
« on: August 18, 2009, 11:29 »

Anyone have any experience of trying to grow stuff under a hedge?
When I took the plot on, I was quite pleased I had "the one next to the hedge" because of shelter from the wind, but having seen everything near it searching for light and being swamped by growth, sticky sap and flies...I realise its a pain!

It runs north to south, and I'm on the western side of it, so all light after midday is fine, but limited early mornings. Rhurbarb seems OK under it, but other things suffered.

I intend a "Quentin Tarrantino" weekend in autumn, where I slash and burn it down to a reasonble level, but it will still be there next year...any advice? Waste a metre or so by not planting near it? I already have water butts (filled with leaves, flies etc.) and compost heaps near the hedge. Grew some gourds and nasturtiums up it, but they were mainly overun as its so vigorous..

Grrrrr!!! >:( >:(

Phill

tode

Re: Sycamore hedge!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 11:38 »
How high is your hedge? Real sycamores make substantial trees if left to their own devices.

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 12:44 »

Think it must be about 30ft now...its really a line of trees that a previous plot-holder cut off about 15ft above the ground, but it must have grown a few feet this year alone....

tode

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 12:59 »
Wow  :ohmy:
Just imagine where the roots run out to  :(
We've got field maple and young ash trees growing in hedge beside veg patch, and theyr' a real pain in the derriere.
Have tried keeping them trimmed for the past 10 years, but the more I trim, the more they grow. I'll be taking them out this winter, before Im too old to do it!!
I would be tempted to take yours out as well, if you're allowed to. Or at least 2 in 3.

If you have to keep them, you could try putting all your "utilities" in the shady area, but either theyll get bigger and bigger, or you'll be at them every year or so.
One way or tother, youve got work on your hands
Good luck 

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 16:37 »
Sycamores also have a habit of sending "aeroplane"-type seeds which germinate readily!! I find that brassicas can take some shade as it seems to help stop them "blowing".
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Establishing a hedge

Started by scottish_lass on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 06, 2011, 15:06
by Goosegirl
xx
Comfrey hedge

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2016, 19:55
by yorky
xx
hedge hog in compost heap

Started by strider84 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 24, 2013, 23:25
by solway cropper
xx
native edible hedge

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 28, 2009, 20:42
by hamstergbert

Page created in 1.081 seconds with 36 queries.