Majorca peppers anyone know what they are ?

• 8 Replies

davidhunter

« on: April 26, 2007, 17:13 »
Dear all,

Recently joined and trying to get a poor garden into shape but while I am at it does anyone know or has anyone tried the small peppers you can by in Majorca for starters.

You get a bowl of them, pan fried normally, with salt on them. They are around 1 to 2 inches long and its like playing Russian Roulette with your taste buds. Most are quite cool then every now and then you get one that just blows your head off !! Some people have said Scotch Bonnets but I don't think they are the same.

Just wondering once the garden is up and running if I buy a greenhouse and can get some seeds will I be able to grow them in bonny, normally wet (but not today) west coast of Scotland.

Thanks

David

WG.

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 17:17 »
If they were Scotch Bonnets, they'd ALL blow your head off.  That's virtually the same as an habanero.

WG.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 19:21 »
I know an hotel owner in Mallorca; I could ask him.   Can you provide any other details ... colour, smooth / wrinkly, shape?

dawninspain

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 19:47 »
David, these peppers are called Pimientos de Padron. They are small - about 1 to 2 inches in length - roundish in shape - and always green. You can buy them easily here but I have never seen the seeds or plants for sale. Just did a quick google search and there seem to be a couple of places in the UK that have the seeds.

We fry them in shallow hot olive oil (enough for them to almost float) in a frying pan for only a minute or so.  The skins crisp up and start to go white. Drain the oil (it can be reused for other things). Sprinkle with sea salt and serve while still hot. About one in ten is hot but  not head blowing!

They are eaten as an aperitif or tapas. Yum....... :roll:

Dawn

WG.

davidhunter

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 08:42 »
Thanks Dawn that name is fimiliar now you say it and that link looks like them whisky !

Maybe I am just a big girls blouse but I have eaten some hot curries in my life but I remember eating one pepper in majorca last time I was over seeing my friends and could not taste any of the meal after that and must also have sweated a gallon of water. But was out the next night eating the same plateful again they are just great.
That company is not selling any at the moment but at least I have the name now I can shop around to see if I can get seeds and / or the peppers themselves.

Thanks for all the help.

David

WG.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 08:51 »
Quote from: "davidhunter"
... and could not taste any of the meal after
I like hot food but IMHO it is defeating the purpose if it gets to be that hot ...  :D

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 09:45 »
My brother lives near Madrid , he grows these peppers, eating them is like Russian Roulette , looking at them cooked on the plate its impossible to tell which one is going to burn your tongue! They are delicious though.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

davidhunter

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 23:55 »
exactly corndolly thats why I love them so much.

They are really tasty don't get me wrong pan fried and some salt sitting in the sun with a nice cerveza (ok beer) then all of a sudden you feel like you have been tango'ed with a big salmon when you hit a hot one. I

know it can spoil all food you take after, but its better and more fun than some pork scratchings or a packet of walkers !!

Oh no I need to get some to grow now. Once the garden is finished, the extension is made the garden is sorted again after the diggers have been in, I can probably make a greenhouse out of all the old double glazed windows I am taking out, it could be peppers a plenty !

xx
Peppers

Started by Bec1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 31, 2021, 20:08
by snowdrops
xx
Peppers

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 13:25
by GaryH
xx
Best peppers?

Started by Pimento on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 30, 2022, 18:27
by Pimento
xx
Are these peppers??

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 13:08
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 29 queries.