goji berries, and squash

• 5 Replies

TinaD

goji berries, and squash
« on: August 15, 2009, 17:42 »
2 questions:

The squash (unknown variety) are growing well and several of them are as big or bigger than I want them - one is just too big and I'd like to know if it's ok to cut it off the plant at this time and let it mature or whatever you do?  Will it lose flavour if I don't let it finish off on the plant?

Re goji berries - I've grown some teeny plants from the seeds inside dried goji berries and wonder if anyone can tell me how to care for the plants and what kind of conditions they need, and also how quickly they grow please?

pushrod

Re: goji berries, and squash
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 17:51 »
The goji berry seedlings will need frost protection in their first winter  but after that they should become hardy. Eventually they become quite large bushes which should do well in a sunny position. Think it takes a few years before you start getting berries - supposed to be very good for you as well as tasty.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 18:06 »
I think it is better to let the squash ripen on the plant, then into a bright conservatory or greenhouse to store. It would be better to give half a big squash to a friend rather than pick unripe and find it is no good. :)

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 22:41 »
Tina D Hi,

Ref, the Goji berries; a good question, does anybody know how to actually grow them on?
I am a little bit further down the line, I have three plants a metre apart in the ground at the allotment. They were rooted cuttings potted on last year and planted out this March. So far all they have done is send out spurs from the first year shoots, one of these actually produced three flowers, which have withered and dropped off. Two of them have produced new runners from the ground close to the original plant, so I am hoping that this is a good thing and the plants are becoming established.
The big question is; how do we get them to fruit?
Do we grow them as a single cordon?
Is their habit as the Blackcurrant? or is it like the Blackberry?
Cultivation information on these plants seems to be non existent so I hope that this thread can be expanded by the good folks on this forum.
 :unsure:
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

pushrod

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 23:47 »
Have a look HERE

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 22:25 »
TinaD Hi,

I have found a Chinese American reseller of Goji products who has got detailed instructions on how to cultivate Lycium Barbarum (me showing off!) from seed and cuttings, which should answer your questions.

http://www.fountainofyouth-gojiseed.com

I bought mine from T&M as one year cuttings, the instructions were next to useless, after reading this information I now know what I should have done! Not such good news on harvesting though, we are looking at 3 - 4 years before a significant crop, please see the note about growing from seed at the end of the article.

If you are still interested I have a spare one year old cutting I made from the original plants - that should by-pass two years growth for you. If you cover the cost of the post I'll send it to you when the plant is dormant just drop me an E-Mail

:D

xx
Goji-Berries

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 13:06
by Duracell
xx
Goji Berries

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 21:48
by Totty
xx
goji berries

Started by TinaD on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 23:08
by hightide
xx
Goji Berries?

Started by antwilk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 17:10
by savbo

Page created in 0.454 seconds with 37 queries.