flowers in the greenhouse?

• 8 Replies

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
flowers in the greenhouse?
« on: August 15, 2009, 12:47 »
I've asked a question in another thread about what I can grow in my ever emptying greenhouse but last night I had a thought, hurt a little but I'm OK  :tongue2:

I have honey bees and so I'd like to grow flowers around the hive and compost bin. I've thrown some seed down but I hold out little hope so.....

could I start off some perennial flowers for the bees in the greenhouse over winter and then transplant them once the frosts have passed?? If so...any ideas?.....to a man who's NEVER grown a flower in his life!!

DavidT

Re: flowers in the greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 20:40 »
It`s simple, really Mick. You get some seeds of perrenials, sow them, overwinter them in the greenhouse, then plant them out in the spring. ::) :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D What flowers do you want? Foxgloves, Lupins, Japanese Anemones? They are all available to you.  :D

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 20:58 »
Cheers dave...but it's the 'it's simple mick' thing that's...well...actually not! lol! I have never grown flowers, in fact only had an allotment since April!!

So, just sow the seeds to the plants I want and keep them in the greenhouse. They can stay there over winter then in spring...pop them outside??

Not entirely sure what plants I want, just stuff the bees will love and 'that looks pretty' lol!! I saw some goldsturm today, would like some of that and blue hobbit...I'm on the look out  ;)

tode

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 09:12 »
The bees and butterflies go mad for three things in our garden: lavendar, thyme and michaelmas daisies. The butterfies especially like the lavendar.
If you have more space, and want something bigger, bees go crazy for sumac (but will make a smallish tree). When the flowers are out, you can hear the bees from 30 feet away  :)
In the Spring, when the bees need a bit of foog, theres not much except fruit blossom, cant think of any smaller plants that they go for.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 09:48 »
Thanks Tode, I've planted a lavender hedge this year and we have thyme already I'll have to take a look at Michaelmas daisies!

I've just ordered:

Liatris Violet
Scarlet Flax
Himalayan Blue Poppies
Lupin Band of Gold Russel
Goldsturm
Borage

I'll have to look out for some Sumac? May be too big for the space but in the mean time I've got a few seeds to sow!  :D

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 18:50 »
Mick, forget the Sumach, it suckers like crazy, go instead for Buddleia, which is much loved by bees, butterflies and birds. :D

catllar

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 19:03 »
Good luck with the blue poppies from seed   - not the easiest little blighters, so if you get them going you've earned your stripes, in my  'umble opinion!

DavidT

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 19:11 »
I find the best way with poppies is to just scatter the seed on the ground where you want them to grow. 8)

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 19:36 »
Good luck with the blue poppies from seed   - not the easiest little blighters, so if you get them going you've earned your stripes, in my  'umble opinion!

Ooh eck, I'll write those off then!! lol!

I've scattered seed in the area I want flowers (normal poppies included) But I don't hold out any hope for them....hence he greenhouse approach  ;)

xx
sun flowers

Started by celtbhoy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2007, 09:42
by WG.
xx
Cut Flowers?

Started by violet on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2010, 17:02
by violet
xx
Flowers to cut

Started by thestens on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 18:33
by thestens
xx
Sun flowers

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 23, 2023, 16:01
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 29 queries.