When will.....

• 4 Replies

Asaunders

When will.....
« on: August 14, 2009, 16:56 »
i have just rehomed 10 new ex batts and let them loose in the run with my other hens, after 3 days with them my hens are very territorial and wont let the ex batts near the food or water, when will they start 2 all mix together or is there anythink i can do to quicken up the progress???

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: When will.....
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 17:24 »
Hello! make sure you have 2 or 3 feeders and drinkers dotted around! otherwise the new birds wont get to eat and drink and fights mostly happen around feeders etc! can take up to 2-3 wks for things to settle Oh and make sure there are no corners they can get trapped in!
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 17:52 »
I'd advise you to divide the run into two parts to keep them seprated but in sight of each other for a week or two to prevent blood shed.  Don't use chicken wire though !  They can damage their heads trying to push through it.

Asaunders

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 18:45 »
thanks for the advice i have dotted around a few more feeders and have kept regular checks on the girls, but i have noticed its 1 hen in particular that is chasing the new hens.
Cani do anything 2 the hen to stop her doing this??

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 09:45 »
thanks for the advice i have dotted around a few more feeders and have kept regular checks on the girls, but i have noticed its 1 hen in particular that is chasing the new hens.
Cani do anything 2 the hen to stop her doing this??
She is probably the top girl and is reinforcing her authority over the newbies just so they are in no doubt as to who is boss! it should settle down though.
I have done about 4 introductions and from my experience just putting them all together has worked the best and quickest (4 days)(keeping a close eye with a hose if anything really got nasty) when i seperated, then introduced it took over 3 weeks before it all settled.

Debbie

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 28 queries.