Jaundiced (?) ex-batt

• 22 Replies

Foxy

Re: Jaundiced (?) ex-batt
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 10:34 »
she does look a little jaundiced, battery hens and broilers can suffer from "fatty liver syndrome" which is why I wondered is she heavier than the others. Saying that it could just be abnormal pigmentation and her behaviour is just that of a hen lower in the pecking order. If it is her liver there is little you can do, avoid to many treats is one thing and stick to a diet of mainly good quality layers pellets/mash. :)

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 10:50 »
I'll have a look at them later (currently still in my pj's!) and check for bugs.  I was going to give the house another clean out today so will check that as well.

Mealworms.   :tongue2: Yuk yuk yuk.  Do I absolutely have to soak them before giving them to the chooks?  I hate them dry, give me the heebie-jeebies, but soggy, I think I might be sick.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 10:58 »
I never soak them !

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 11:08 »
Thanks Auntie - I might be able to cope with them then!

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
Re: Jaundiced (?) ex-batt + other stuff
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 11:54 »
Foxy, she's got access to the Smallholder ex-bats crumbs and water all day.  They have a handful of mixed corn about 4pm.  I have tried them on various veg but, so far, they've just looked at it as if they think I must be mad, and ignored it.  Is there anything else I could give her?  I have some Verm-X Keep Well pellets that I put on the top of the crumbs every other day and they seem to disappear.  I have some cider apple vinegar but not sure what to do with it as - apparently - you can't put it in galvanised water drinkers, which I have... 

She is getting really badly beaten up by one of the other hens.  They just suddenly seem to have taken a real dislike to each other.  Presumably, apart from making sure she is not injured, I just have to let them sort it out?

Sorry for all the questions but don't want my inexperience with chickens to result in any more upset for them.

Many thanks for everyone's help...

Casey76

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 21:29 »
I don't know much about chicken health, however in humans with true jaundice I would expect to see icterus, which is yellowing of the sclera.  In the photo, your hen appears to have a normal sclera.  So it could either be some other pigmentation disorder, or it could be normal for this hen to have a more yellow visage than her contemporaries.

poultrygeist

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 21:54 »
I was wondering that too  :blink:

(what's a sclera ? :unsure:)

Rob 8)

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 06:35 »
Oh, that's a good point casey76.  I've just let them out and they're stretching their legs and having a drink at the mo but I'll have a look at her later...

Rob - the sclera is the eye.  I think, more particularly, the area around the iris - the white of the eye in us humans.  Sure casey will correct me if I'm wrong.

xx
Jaundiced looking hen?

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 08:29
by Fat Hen
xx
Ex Batt help

Started by coxyMFC on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 09:53
by Flowerpower136
xx
EX Batt not well

Started by TonyW on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 17:08
by Aidy
xx
Ex-batt's

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 17:19
by JACDORE

Page created in 0.475 seconds with 37 queries.