Tomato taste

• 27 Replies

sclarke624

Tomato taste
« on: August 13, 2009, 19:45 »
For what its worth:
lldi tomatoes, little yellow prolific toms, very nice cherry flavour, no splitting so far. Sweet.

Gold nugget, very little orangey cherry toms, gorgeuos taste but split so easily and ripen one or two at a time....shame as best I ever tasted.  Sweet.

Black Cherry after much anticipation quite disappointed just taste like a normal non sweet toms nothing special at all for me.

Orange banana again nothing special very pleasant taste though and quite a lot on the plant.

Red alert, well worth it and this will be one of my regualars.  Very early ripening, prolific, tasty and sweet.

Yet to try my sungella and golden sunrise as when picked and stuffed in ones mouth can't remember which one the toms came from.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
Re: Tomato taste
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 19:55 »
i have grown for several years in a row, ruby, prolific, beautiful tasting, easily looked after, slightly prone to splitting, probably my fault for irregular watering.  Always being complimented by workmates and friends. I believe it has a horticultural merit , supplied by Thompson & morgan, will definitely grow again. Very highly recommend!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 19:57 »
Black cherry didn't impress me either, and i don't like the sweet toms :( After much anticipation the taste of Tigerella left alot o be desired as well.......and this was listed as having the old fashioned sweet/tart flavour balance  >:(
So back to the drawing board (and catalogues) again for next year's salad toms!

Will not be growing San Marzano cooking toms either.........some plants have set well, but some have only set a couple of toms on the whole plant :(
What cookers are recommended folks?

pushrod

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 20:39 »
Cristal - large, sweet but with a slightly sharp edge, very tasty (never met anyone who wasn't impressed by them) The best eating tomato i have ever come across and so now the only one i grow.

Only downsides are - expensive 8 seeds for £2.99 and if you overwater they can get blossom end rot apart from that i have never had one that has fallen foul to any other problem/pest ( i grow them in a greenhouse)
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

sclarke624

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 21:48 »
Anyone tried Orange Santa, might have a go with them next year.  BUT £3.99 for 6 seeds, so would rather see if anybody has tried them first.

sclarke624

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 21:51 »
Will not be growing San Marzano cooking toms either.........some plants have set well, but some have only set a couple of toms on the whole plant :(
What cookers are recommended folks?

Well can't tell you what they taste like yet but I grew Roma VF this year.  All the plants look half dead, but as I have seen peeps on other forums  say this maybe its the norm, you know like they are starving for water.  Quite a few on the plant, bit slow to ripen.  Apparently not many pips.  I have actually picked some but was in a rush and just cooked them didn't taste or study the inside.  Seem very firm as well.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 22:15 »
My Bambino's are truly unbelievable.  Heavy cropper of sweet cherry tomatoes.  I am currently picking a kilo a day from 6 plants, and they are still covered in green fruit.  I am going to have a chutney making weekend I think.

My St Pierre's are also doing very well after a stuttering start.  Great "sandwich" tomato that slices nicely with a not too sweet or sharp taste.

Will stick with these varieties next year for sure.  I started them off at the end Feb from seed then moved them to the polytunnel in April.   The only problem is that the Bambio's are rampant.  If you take an eye off them for a couple of days they throw out long branches with more flowers that you are loathe to prune back.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 01:31 »
My Bambino are doing well too with loads of sweet strings of fruit - must like the southern air. ;) They have completely filled a tiny lean-to greenhouse and have to be pushed back in to close the door!

Gardeners Delight - still delighting - great flavour as always - in a larger greenhouse and romping away.

My Roma snuffed it outside - nice shaped, well cropping fruit but blight hit so none to taste  :(

My Dad has grown Grosse Lisse (I think the spelling is correct??) - the seed came through the post from an Australian friend. The fruit is large, crinkled and irregular in shape - very few pips (which suit my elderly parents) and they are good for sandwiches, slicing for salad and great for cooking. A decent crop so far.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

tode

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 08:50 »
Growing Supersweet 100 outside, and getting cascades of good flavoured toms. Make really strong plants.

diggerjoe

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 09:35 »
gartenperle loads and loads of fruit - just wish i could have tasted them before the blight hit! :( :( :(

zazen999

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 10:17 »
Grushovka for taste - lovely dark pink colour as well.

Just put some seeds aside for saving for 2010....

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 11:32 »
Sungold F1.
Outdoor in compost. Mid season - Large plant.  Small cherry sized toms, heavy cropper 15-20 per truss. sweet, low acidity. Thicker skinned than last year, splits if left too long or over watered.

Glacier
Outdoor in compost. Early. sprawling bush with potato leaf difficult to support. golf ball sized toms. 3-5 toms per truss. 4-5 trusses. Very hard but thin skins. Plenty of flesh and few seed. Med-sweet , low acidity. good bulk but little flavour and rather wet.

I'll add more if I get toms before blight kills off the plants.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 13:20 »
For a few years I have tried to grow a few tomato plants half-in and half-out of a cold frame (i.e. have to take the top lights off when the plants get too tall)

Have suffered all the usual problems growing "outdoors", especially blight; just about harvested some Gartenperle last year before they succumbed in late July; thought they tasted a bit woolly.

This year I tried Red Alert which are still going strong (everything crossed!) and can only endorse sclarke624 remarks about their early ripening and great taste and texture.

A deffo for next year!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 22:25 »
Thanks for that JayG.... if I can find the seed I might give them a try next year.  :)

sclarke624

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 23:51 »
If you mean Red Alert  Learner mine are Thompson and morgan but  I got the mine in the 50p Wyevale  sale.  They last quite well too I have noticed.  Which could well be on now the sale I mean.

To reiterate from last year I did Sub Artic last year and they werehorrible and woolly, incaseanyonethinksofbuyingthesefornextyear.  (i've got a sticky spacebar) makes interestingreading though LOL.

Just noticed as well if anyone else has lldi, pick when just going very slightly translucent, sweeter than when solid yellow.

Balconi Red nice compact littleplants can go in smaller pot.  Lots of little toms on them, sweet,pleasant enough.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 12:19 by sclarke624 »

xx
Tomato Taste Test

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 14:25
by Lardman
xx
Disappointing tomato taste

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 12:03
by Kristen
xx
RHS tomato taste test results

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 09, 2013, 21:39
by Lardman
xx
beetroot taste

Started by jackiestagg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 03, 2007, 20:33
by Beanzie

Page created in 0.996 seconds with 38 queries.