blight advice

• 27 Replies

Riala

Re: blight advice
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 21:27 »
I have John and Vals Jam, Chutney and Preserves book, so no worries on a recipe, I just have never ever had a Chutney before!

I will pick them tomorrow.

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 22:23 »
Here's wishing you the best of luck - green chutney can be really tasty - I think I may have put ginger in the last lot I made a couple of years ago...
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

viettaclark

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 23:34 »
I used black onion seed in last year's blight rescued green tom. chutney. Gave it an Eastern flavour. Yum.

Paul Plots

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 12:24 »
What I am waiting for is a seed merchant to come up with a very blight resistant strain that grow well, ripen speedily, withstand a degree of cold at planting outside-time, crop very well and taste wonderfully sweet.

Doesn't sound much like an outside tomato though - does it?  :(

Scarey Sarah

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 12:53 »
Thanks for the responses. Just one other question - do I need to do anything in particular to clean the pots that the diseased plants were in? Presumably if I use them again next year then the blight could infect next year's crop. I don't want to throw them out as they're not cheap!

I also have the same question - removed all the diseased tomato plants this morning - soul destroying!  These were grown in containers in the greenhouse.  I have left the soil in the containers, can these be reused for tomatoes next yr or do I need to throw the soil away.  If I can keep the soil is there anything I should mix into it now to try and prevent the dreaded blight next yr.  Thanks

viettaclark

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 12:58 »
Just cut down my standard tom. plants because blight was spreading but have caught it early and the window sills are heaving with fruit, better than last year when I had to chuck masses. :D Now I'm watching the tumblers and potatoes round the other side of the house and acting like a paranoid demented chicken. (Bok bok bok)
I spent the morning squishing caterpillars on the kale and cabbages I was planting out and scooped up a few GIANT slugs.
As well as a miracle tomato like you decribed Learner it would be great if all our plants were resistant to everything. Then we could just sit back, glass of something in hand, watch them grow and eat them!
( Mind you, if they're resistant to all those things that eat them they'll probably be poisonous for US!!!!! :blink: :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 13:04 »
Thanks for the responses. Just one other question - do I need to do anything in particular to clean the pots that the diseased plants were in? Presumably if I use them again next year then the blight could infect next year's crop. I don't want to throw them out as they're not cheap!

I also have the same question - removed all the diseased tomato plants this morning - soul destroying!  These were grown in containers in the greenhouse.  I have left the soil in the containers, can these be reused for tomatoes next yr or do I need to throw the soil away.  If I can keep the soil is there anything I should mix into it now to try and prevent the dreaded blight next yr.  Thanks

It's pretty unusual for blight to destroy an in-door tomato crop.... sorry to hear you've had this bad luck. 

If it were me I would not use the same soil / compost again next year. I would completely clean the greenhouse with Jays fluid and consider using alternative growing containers - maybe grow-bags as a base (if you have a solid floor) and then put a ring-cluture (pot) ontop of the grow-bag and plant into this.... it gives the plant roots more room.

Was the greenhouse left very wide open?...spores must have made their way in one way or another. 

Perhaps the conditions in the greenhouse were very humid and damp? - these are just right for blight to develop.

If you had handled blight infested plant material from another source you may have carried the spores into the greenhouse.

I think you would need to consider how this years crop developed blight in order to avoid it next year....it is unusual (as far as I am aware) for indoor tomatoes to be hit badly.

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 13:04 »
Just cut down my standard tom. plants because blight was spreading but have caught it early and the window sills are heaving with fruit, better than last year when I had to chuck masses. :D Now I'm watching the tumblers and potatoes round the other side of the house and acting like a paranoid demented chicken. (Bok bok bok)
I spent the morning squishing caterpillars on the kale and cabbages I was planting out and scooped up a few GIANT slugs.
As well as a miracle tomato like you decribed Learner it would be great if all our plants were resistant to everything. Then we could just sit back, glass of something in hand, watch them grow and eat them!
( Mind you, if they're resistant to all those things that eat them they'll probably be poisonous for US!!!!! :blink: :D

That would be a draw-back!!  :lol:

viettaclark

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 13:07 »
By the way...did anyone notice the sneaky way they glossed over tom. blight on Gardeners World last night? Maybe they're planning on dedicating a whole prog. to it? Sure need to educate growers. I wouldn't have been sure without the help of you lovely people!!!

Scarey Sarah

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2009, 13:25 »

It's pretty unusual for blight to destroy an in-door tomato crop.... sorry to hear you've had this bad luck. 

If it were me I would not use the same soil / compost again next year. I would completely clean the greenhouse with Jays fluid and consider using alternative growing containers - maybe grow-bags as a base (if you have a solid floor) and then put a ring-cluture (pot) ontop of the grow-bag and plant into this.... it gives the plant roots more room.

Was the greenhouse left very wide open?...spores must have made their way in one way or another. 

Perhaps the conditions in the greenhouse were very humid and damp? - these are just right for blight to develop.

If you had handled blight infested plant material from another source you may have carried the spores into the greenhouse.

I think you would need to consider how this years crop developed blight in order to avoid it next year....it is unusual (as far as I am aware) for indoor tomatoes to be hit badly.

Thanks for your response.
Yes the greenhouse was humid & damp at some point & I also let the tomato plants grow and get a bit out of control - this is my 1st time growing tomatoes and so I won't make this mistake next yr! 
The containers I have are quite big - well bigger and deeper than grow bags and so I don't think that the roots didn't have enough room to grow. 
My cucumbers are still growing very nicely in the greenhouse & no sign that any blight has been transferred to them.
Not quite sure what to do about the existing soil - does anyone else have any tips as I don't have any spare money to replace the soil again.  Thanks

Scarey Sarah

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2009, 13:28 »
By the way...did anyone notice the sneaky way they glossed over tom. blight on Gardeners World last night? Maybe they're planning on dedicating a whole prog. to it? Sure need to educate growers. I wouldn't have been sure without the help of you lovely people!!!

I noticed that as well - I hoped for some good advice from them as well.  Did you notice how water-logged their growing patch was - I thought we had drainage problems until I saw that!  Hopefully they will cover the blight topic in a bit more detail - would rather see that than seeing people take cuttings from flowers - not really my cup of tea!

Plot22

• Experienced Member
  • Don't compost your kids!!
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2009, 13:28 »

GW does that a lot.  It's turned into very glossy programme :(

Paul Plots

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2009, 13:44 »

GW does that a lot.  It's turned into very glossy programme :(

I agree with you. Sadly it is sometimes too entertaining :mellow:

xx
Advice please - tomato blight

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 12:04
by JayG
xx
Maincrop blight advice

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2020, 17:18
by Yorkie
xx
Tomato blight advice

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2020, 09:18
by JayG
xx
Tomato blight advice

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 23:42
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 36 queries.