Unplanted organic seed potatoes

• 4 Replies

bigforest

Unplanted organic seed potatoes
« on: August 12, 2009, 10:23 »
Hi, I am new too all this, as I just got my plot 6 months ago and have spent a lot of time just clearing some of the ground. I accidentally bought too many spuds and wasn't able to plant them. I've read alot of the message board, but have got two questions, if anyone can help me...
1) The potatoes I havn't planted ( because I had too many) have got long sprouts on them ( I think I kept them too warm in the house). Someone advised me to snap the sprouts off and store in a sealed paper bag in the allotment shed. Is this the right thing to do and can I plant them next year - will they be ok?
2) I havn't planted my late maincrop, they are called Arran Victory and Cara. One of the forum members said you can plant as long as there is no frost - they need 20 weeks? Can I plant them now, or is it too late? I am just about to dig up the rest of my earlies which have now got blight I think and also are being eaten by slugs. I did dig up some of these a few weeks ago but it was too soon and they gave me stomach ache, but they hadn't been attacked by the slugs then! If I can plant the Arran Victory and Cara, can I plant them in the same place, or are they then just going to get blight too? I do have another patch thats free.

Thanks, please let me know if this is already on the site somewhere..

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
Re: Unplanted organic seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 13:20 »
Hiya
I think its a bit late to plant out our crop now. 20 weeks takes us to the end of December and it will probably be too cold for them to grow by mid october which would only give them 8 weeks, not long enough. I have not heard of people keeping seed potatoes (grown last year) in storage for use next year, usually next year's crop is grown from this year's seed, but it may work, for all I know.

Are you sure it is blight on your potatoes? Worth checking it out on the internet. If it is blight, then I wouldn't advise planting potatoes in that spot for quite a few years.

I am just about to plant some seed potatoes in bags so they are ready for Christmas, but they need to be brought into the greenhouse when the season starts to cool down, so you could try that.
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

bigforest

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 20:30 »
oops, havn't got a greenhouse, only a shed...
I checked the blight, I was wrong, it was just too much rain and some of the other spuds are alright. thanks

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 21:41 »
Believe it or not, but spuds will stay in the ground over winter and come up by themselves next year. Even in my -20C winters. When pulling mine up I always seem to miss a few and next year, there's a new crop starting up without my help.
Blight is a problem over there but since yours are fresh seed this year, you could try preparing  a good spot for them (well manured, weeded, etc) and plant them when the weather turns cool. Place marker sticks around the area so you won't forget. And wait to see what comes up next year. Frankly, I get my best crops from these leftovers. Its a better use of what you have rather than binning them which is the only other thing you can do.

bigforest

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 19:36 »
thank you very much, i think i will try to put some in my dad's greenhouse and plant some in the ground (when it's cold) and see what happens.

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
question
Seed potatoes

Started by royh on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 14:26
by Stevens706
xx
seed potatoes

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 24, 2013, 20:36
by DD.
xx
How many seed potatoes

Started by Hawthorne on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 06, 2008, 22:55
by gobs

Page created in 1.535 seconds with 37 queries.