Garlic

• 16 Replies

DadBear

• Experienced Member
Garlic
« on: April 25, 2007, 19:06 »
Greetings  Dear Friends, I have some garlic in my garden which I planted early in february when it was cold and frosty. it has grown pretty well but now the stems appear to be going dry, yellow and wrinkly! I am hoping that this is normal, and not that the plants have died, any observations welcome. Ps if I could master the picture thing I would put a few on...Regards, DB
trying to be organic....

WG.

Garlic
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 19:08 »
The stems??  Tips of the leaves going yellow is quite normal but stems and main part of the leaves should be fresh & green for another 6 or 7 weeks.

Have you a history of white rot in onions on your patch?

DadBear

• Experienced Member
Garlic
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 19:33 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
The stems??  Tips of the leaves going yellow is quite normal but stems and main part of the leaves should be fresh & green for another 6 or 7 weeks.

Have you a history of white rot in onions on your patch?

This is the first year I have cultivated anything in the patch, which previously was a shrub border. It's very strange, and the best way of describing how they look is 'withered'. I have onions growing nearby, which are fine and healthy. I wonder if the garlic didn't get enough cold?, regards, DB

corndolly

• Experienced Member
Garlic
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 09:31 »
I put Garlic in last autumn and it is looking good ,the elephant garlic especially . Perhaps February was the wrong time to plant ?
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Garlic
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 10:19 »
How much drought is there where you are and did you enrich the soil with lots of organic matter before planting? I think my alliums are just hanging on due to the large amounts of well rotted manure I put in the bed when double digging it over. Onions and their relatives like to be watered quite a bit.
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

DadBear

• Experienced Member
Garlic
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 19:22 »
Quote from: "Heather_S"
How much drought is there where you are and did you enrich the soil with lots of organic matter before planting? I think my alliums are just hanging on due to the large amounts of well rotted manure I put in the bed when double digging it over. Onions and their relatives like to be watered quite a bit.

Its been pretty dry here and I'm ashamed to say I just bunged it in.....On the other hand, i've watered my onions quite well and they are doing well...oh dear... :D

WG.

Garlic
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 19:27 »
Quote from: "DadBear"
Its been pretty dry here and I'm ashamed to say I just bunged it in.....On the other hand, i've watered my onions quite well and they are doing well...oh dear... :D

I never water garlic.  It develops much deeper roots than any other allium.  Granted I plant in Aug/Sep/Oct.

You haven't replied to the question about manuring.  Garlic likes a good feed.

Why not post a close-up picture for us?  (Of the garlic, that is, not of yourself).  :wink:

DadBear

• Experienced Member
Garlic
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 19:00 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"

I never water garlic.  It develops much deeper roots than any other allium.  Granted I plant in Aug/Sep/Oct.

You haven't replied to the question about manuring.  Garlic likes a good feed.

Why not post a close-up picture for us?  (Of the garlic, that is, not of yourself).  :wink:

Ha Ha .. A picture of me, far too shy!! Will ask wifey how to do it and one should be here soon...its an interesting phenomena... :D

DadBear

• Experienced Member
Garlic
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 19:37 »
IMG]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w163/dadbear/garlic1.jpg[/IMG]

this is the sickly garlic i was on about... what do you all think?

Ps i didnt dig any manure in before i planted the bulbs....cringe!!! :)

WG.

Garlic
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 19:41 »

this is the sickly garlic i was on about... what do you all think?

Ps i didnt dig any manure in before i planted the bulbs....cringe!!! :)

Yeah, I think it is just hungry.  Not a lot wrong with it but the shrubbery will have depleted the soil.  Although, next year, don't grow it on its side !!   :wink:

Give it a feed with some compost tea or whatever chemical garbage you permit yourself!   :wink:  :wink:

DadBear

• Experienced Member
Garlic
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 20:00 »
I'll give it a wee dram of tomato feed then...I didn't think about the shrubs depleting the soil... good point that... thanks WG :D

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Garlic
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 20:05 »
i pulled a small one of my garlics just to see how it was doing (ive 50+ growing), not showing much of a bulb yet (more like a spring onion) but the smell was fantastic!!! :D
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

WG.

Garlic
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 20:09 »
I'll give it a wee dram of tomato feed then...

Maybe summat with more nitrogen.  Dried blood is organic but Growmore is cheaper!  :)

DadBear

• Experienced Member
Garlic
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 21:13 »
ok, i'll give em some blood fish and bone....with a bit of water....

ps ive put a pic of my thin onions on the thread from a few days ago!! :D

WG.

Garlic
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 13:52 »
Quote from: "Zak the Rabbit"
i pulled a small one of my garlics just to see how it was doing (ive 50+ growing), not showing much of a bulb yet (more like a spring onion) but the smell was fantastic!!! :D

For anyone who doesn't know, the garlic clove which you plant completely rots away.  The head of garlic which you harvest is formed "from scratch" by the new plant.

I had a quick count Zak - I figure that I've got approx 4500 garlic plants this year.  :D

xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
Where's my garlic?

Started by alfman on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post November 19, 2009, 23:49
by Sweet Pea 2

Page created in 0.664 seconds with 36 queries.