Anyone read Munty's advice for newbies

• 7 Replies

TTG

Anyone read Munty's advice for newbies
« on: August 11, 2009, 18:19 »
Just read Munjac's advice for newbies, very funny. Good advice too.

Guess what stage I'm at? No idea, well it is the knock down and remove pigeon loft stage. Then it is cut back the weeds, then check out the shed, then probably remove the shed, then cut back more weeds, then call for help! That is men in white coats not help in digging it over, because I don't live anywhere near Munty so no rotavator. I also don't have a petrol strimmer (unless me old Dad has one hidden away - like he will be doing with all his tools from now until I get my own set :D).

So what happens with no petrol strimmer, no neighbour with a rotavator and very little tools? Well I will find out, but my guess is a bad back! What is the world record for digging a standard sized plot over? Watch this space and you'll probably find out what it isn't and that's 6 months and a visit to a chiropractor! Now a rented rotavator seems like a good deal.

Still, looking forward to real fruit and vegetables. Then there's the healthy life of good food and plenty of exercise. Do the experts define how much exercise is considered good because my back is now good for nothing. Still half way through. Now I can start to plant a few stuff so at least it looks like I have done something worthwhile. I'll soon cheer up with a few stuff coming through. Will make the last half seem easier to dig over.

Anyway, I wake up from my day-dreaming to catch the allotment secretary telling me how much the rent is and if I wanted to take it. I then look around and the loft is there, the old shed is still there and I am looking up at the weeds not down at growing plants. All a dream. Now what was the question? Do you want the plot? Answer...

Yes! Yes! Yes! When can I start? :D

Or, "where you going?" "Is that a no then?" <cloud of dust goes up as I wheel spin my car trying to get away>

Well? I'm afraid you will have to wait a few days for that as I am yet to inspect the plot. I reckon you won't need many guesses, I think I have said yes in my head for two years already.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 20:44 by Ice »

DavidT

Re: Anyine read Munty's advice for newbies
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 18:53 »
Stop inventing reasons NOT to take the plot and GET WORKING. :lol: :lol: :lol: :D Hire a strimmer and rotovator , pack some sandwiches and a flask and get going. As you clear an area plant it up, so you can see some benefit from the graft. :D

grumpydad

Re: Anyine read Munty's advice for newbies
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 20:37 »
we took on an overgrown plot in april this year.
strimmed it all over and racked the resulting weeds etc into a compost pile, and decided to make small beds across the width of the plot, 14' wide with a 3' path down one side.
we have decided to do half this year and half next year,it is over 90' long but keep it all strimmed so it looks tidy.
60 runner beans plants going like mad, with loads on, broad beans, onions, shallots, beetroot, salads. have planted 4 apples to cordon, and put posts for a small orchard at the top by the shed.
great fun, just go for it.
martyn

TTG

Re: Anyone read Munty's advice for newbies
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 12:06 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DavidT - Have we met before? You seem to know me!  :D

I have arranged to actually see the plot properly so I know exactly what I'm taking on. That is Friday (payday too so off to get tools :D ). I am sure I will take it as I have even been checking out the seeds at two of my local garden centres. Also priced a few tools to see what's out there. I already have my eye on my Dad's sledgehammer and large felling axe too. Reckon they will take big bites out of the loft don't you.

Does anyone think that the wood from the loft is best thrown out or can it be re-used if suitable? Someone suggested that it will be full of chemicals that could leach into the soil. I was thinking of making up compost bins and the like from any posts and wood slats I can get out of it. I reckon it would be pre-treated timber when it was made so there may well still be stuff in the wood.

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 12:51 »
I would not worry about chemicals in the wood. I bet the loft has been there years and the timber is made with good stuff.

Before you pull it down, is it any good for chickens?

TTG

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 13:36 »
Salmo - I think it is just too run down. Even if it could be patched for chickens it would mean very little space to grow anything. It is actually quite big. Most pigeon lofts I have seen have only been a little bigger than sheds. I have only seen one as big or bigger than this. It was owned by the old fella down the road whose family owned the market gardening business off our road. Massive greenhouses (and free, misshapen tomatoes for us and other friends). He had an orchard with a pigeon loft that some people would wish was their house. Two stories and about the size of a 2 up, 2 down terraced house.

No! The loft would have to go. Besides I think the lady who runs the allotments (the allotment secretary) has said it must go, if I have read her email correctly. I do intend to use as much of it as is practical. Partly as it prevents landfill and also because it is cheaper than buying new compost bins, wood for beds, etc.

Does anyone know if councils provide compost bins for allotment holders? I know our council provided compost bins for households (with gardens I hav assumes) but I wonder if I could get one even though I don't have a garden. I could always get a relative to get one for their garden but to give it to me.

AlotArds

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 23:00 »
TTG - Have you got a pic of your lotty?

You might find that if you cut the loft down into sections some of your fellow lotties might take some, save you getting it taken away.

Good Luck

TTG

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 14:27 »
Met the allotment person at the plot and inspected it with an old hand in veggie growing / allotments as a special adviser. He said not to take it and I tended to agree. The Allotment had one huge loft on it covering over half the plot. With a run down shed that might just be salvageable. The rest of the plot was overgrown and would have been a huge amount of work even without the loft.

So I turned it down, especially once I was told that there might be another plot coming up in the next month or so. I got shown it and it was perfect if a little untended. There were weed supressing sheets down and some weeds around the edges and a few beds with none on. The allotment has not been tended for about a year so they were going through the process of getting it back. Put it this way about 3 months of work on one starting this week or 1-2 months for a plot almost ready to plant up. Which would you go for? Bad back and 3 months or more of hard graft or 1 month of feet up planning what I want to plant! Not a hard choice really.

No piccie of the plot but a very good reason to wait. I am still next on the list. The allotment person said she expected the answer and it was not a problem. I am still top of the list and she has 26 other people to offer it to. I was just the first of 27 people.

xx
How are all the newbies doing?

Started by cbu183 on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 17:08
by Caddi fuller-teabags
xx
Welcoming newbies.

Started by pennsylvania planters on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 00:36
by gowing238
xx
Newbies question time

Started by markp76 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 14:47
by markp76
xx
Newbies, parsnips and possible nets

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2015, 15:32
by crh75

Page created in 0.941 seconds with 36 queries.