How much should they eat?

• 8 Replies

steaders

How much should they eat?
« on: August 11, 2009, 14:40 »

Our 4 Hybrid POL chooks have been with us for 7days now. :D But while they seem happy enough they don’t seem to be eating much of the Layer pellets that they have access to all day. :( They get meal worms in the morning, (about a handful between the 4, dried but pre-soaked), a small handful of corn each in the evening about 8:30 and Grass clipping or greens during the day.

So far Gladys has laid 6 eggs, Maud 2, Margo laid her first egg yesterday, Tilly is undecided and by the look on her face she’ll do it when she is ready and not before :tongue2:. So as I say they seem happy but not eating much of the layer pellets.

My question is (or are) how much layer pellets would you expect 4 hens to eat in a day? Is it possible they don’t liker this brand? should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance for your help

Sue33

Re: How much should they eat?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 14:53 »

i think they might be getting too many treats, our chooks eat layers pellets every day and then have treats like corn or pasta just a couple of times a week, they do free range every afternoon/evening as well so have grass and worms, snails etc.   Try taking away the treats (mealworms and corn) and i'm sure they'll start tucking into the layers pellets which do have pretty much everything they need.

HairyBear

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 15:39 »
I had the same problem with mine new girls.  After 3 weeks of them throwing themselves at me as if they were starving (yet having layers pellets availabile all day) I took advice from a local poultry food store.  The lady there said to try layers mash, as they might not like the food in pellet form.  I have and they seem to be eating more now (although still not a great deal).

One good tip she gave though was to put the pellets in a bag and stand on them as this turns them into the mash (powdered form) and therefore saving you money if you've already stocked up on pellets.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 16:08 »
Your 4 hybrids should eat around half kilo a day.  The pellets could possibly be a change of diet and they can be sensitive to that.  However persevere with the pellets and you won't regret it, mash is a lot more messy, prone to being scattered about and attracting vermin and encouraging mould and disease.  It's primary use is in large scale commercial flocks where it's fed at set intervals from troughs where absolute minimum cost is key.  Pellets are clean well suited to ad lib gravity feeders and with 4 hens you don't want to be going out there two/three times a day to fill/ renew  their throughs.
You don't say if they have access to the outside ground but if so I'd very much agree with Sue there's too many treats in this diet and you'll be disrupting the balance which the feed formulation will be giving them.  Treats must be less than 10% and many experts say 5% of their total intake.  Mealworms are just extra protein which they don't need although chickens love them.  Feed once or twice a week from the hand and sparing.  Grass cuttings I'd say not to feed at all. If there's access to fresh grass or greens they don't need it and it can be very bad once it has started to decompose and ferment which it does very quickly in this weather.

You are being over concerned at such an early stage and you may find that with all the extras they are getting sufficient.
Regards
Truth through science.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 16:19 »
Good advice already given, but only give treats in the evening too, it gives them chance to eat the pellets that do have all they need.  They will lay better if eating mainly pellets.

I wouldn't change the brand, of pellets, they may have been on something different before you got them, but stick with what you have now, they will get used to them.  :D
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

steaders

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 16:34 »

Thank you for all your advice, I think I will persivere and cut down on the treats . They are just beginning to get used to a routine so now is the time to change if I am going to.

Thanks again

bexy

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 18:09 »
Mine have a 24 hour supply of layers pellets in a feeder which is kept inside their house.
They don't eat much of it but it's there if they are hungry.
Now then, outside within there run there is a dish i fill daily with the same layers pellets (about 5 cups worth) this i mix with a little water to moisten them...they go crazy for this and all is eaten every day ::)

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 00:25 »
I also find the girls like pellets mixed with water to a mash. Gives me a chance to add any supplements like garlic powder, ACV, Diatom, etc. when I need to dose. They still have a supply of dried pellets available but seem to love the mash and I feel happy knowing they've had their daily amount.  :D

steaders

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 12:36 »
Bexy, Viettaclarke

Tried them with a some bashed pellets and a little water, after they got over the idea that we were trying to poisen them they tucked in and seemed to like it. Perhaps just a novelty but we will persevere and see if they eat more of this than pellets.

Thanks for the help

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 28 queries.