neighbour disputes

• 99 Replies

niknik

Re: neighbour disputes
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2009, 16:16 »
Well I am sorry to hear of your situation  We have had four ex Bats for the last year and they got us up at 6.00 (we got up to let them out to shut them up)!! Then they started making loads of noise at about 7 am and this went on and on and on.  We became very stressed with the noise and how the neighbours must hate it (though we had no complaints) but it made us really stressed.  So much so that we thought it best to send the hens to a bigger and better place.  Not sure that we did the right thing there, we are really missing them (though to be honest we don't miss the screeching). 
Can anyone suggest a type of breed of hens which might make less noise during the day, we are not really bothered by what time we need to get up to let them out, but want to be considerate of the neighbours and our stress levels.
Any advise would  be gratefully received.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2009, 16:22 »
Hens (and all birds) respond to light. 

If you keep their hen house dark inside they will stay asleep.  If you allow the early morning light in they will wake up and shout.  Nice set of curtains will keep them quiet - hopefully   ::)

niknik

« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2009, 16:34 »
Yes, we put up a lovely pair of wooden 'curtains' and they still woke up.  We didn't know why they made so much noise during the day (after their lay). :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2009, 16:39 »
a lot of hens make a noise after they lay, some also do it before they lay as well. Mine all want to lay in the same nest box (all 8 of them - even though they have several nest boxes to choose from) and will moan and get very noisy if one is taking her time laying  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2009, 18:25 »
We don't have our hens yet (ex-batts arriving 6th Sept) but even if they're noisy, it won't be us that hears them as we sleep on the other side of the house   ??? I hope the daughters let us know if they're  making too much noise early in the morning, but I suspect they'll just sleep through it anyway  :unsure:
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2009, 10:22 »
just a quick update . the hens havnt been let out until 8 am over the weekend and this morning >:( yet on my return from shopping this morning i was still moaned at by the same neighbour for my noise this time not the hens .  :ohmy: I reckon im in a lose lose situation here as i cant really have a neighbour telling me what time i can have access to my garden . Theres just no pleasing some people . So anyone who has similar issues i would just say we are not always the ones who have to change our habits  :D

Flowerpower136

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2009, 11:15 »
I'm out and about it the garden before 8 am most days, but try not to make too much racket (clattering & banging etc) till 8 am, or 9 am at weekends.  Though sometimes, needs must.

We've been lucky with our hens so far.  They make some noise when they see me coming down the steps. But we've no cockerell, so it's just a bit of gentle bok bokking, and as they are right down the bottom of the garden, I don't think most of my neighbours even know they are there.  Immediate neighbours were consulted before the girls moved in. 

Apart from a bit of bokking, they only seem to kick off if there is something wrong in their world, eg, me cleaning out the coop, or Paxo wedged fast under a shrub, or Amber parked on the ramp, not letting anyone out.  They don't even announce an egg, though might get round to it.  They're ex batts, so haven't quite got the hang of all their 'hen duties' yet.

Our neighbours are great, sorry your's aren't.  But as you say, can't please some peeps, so, if you are not at fault, then probably best just ignore her. Takes 2 to have a row........unless of course you feel you are being unreasonably harrassed? 

poultrygeist

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2009, 11:33 »
Hi craig.

You've compromised and tried to be more considerate, but clearly, in this case, the neighbour will never now be happy with whatever you do.
Well done for trying and I still think unnecesary human noise is annoying before about 7 or so. But you've gone well beyond what you needed to so well done and don't worry about making a noise at 8.

Builders generally start generators, cement mixers, etc at 7.30. Plus of course the compulsory radio blastign out  ::) :D

Rob 8)

danmegal

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2009, 11:36 »
Unlike craig my neighbours have been great about our chickens, however I now have a problem with them, but I cannot figure out if it is me being unreasonable or them thoughtless! They have a relatively 'unkept' garden and have put little stones covering the bottom half of their garden, the second half is mainly grass but bordered with wood chip. The problem being that the fence between our gardens I believe to be their responsibility and it is rotton at the bottom, and despite my best efforts to put all sorts up against it the chickens when penned up against that side of the garden are constantly breaking bits off the fence, and pulling through tiny stones and bits of woodchip onto our lawn which I do not want for obvious reasons. So is it my responsibility to prevent the chickens pulling this stuff through which I am trying anyway or should they?? :unsure:

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2009, 11:43 »
in regards to the fence you will have to look at the deeds to your house where you should see a plan showing the boundary lines of the propertys . if your side of the boundary line there is a t shaped mark the fnce is your responsibility . If its on there side then its theres however if there is a double t mark then the responsibility is shared. hope that helps :D

danmegal

« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2009, 11:47 »
Thanks Craig I will check that, pretty sure its theirs tho. Do people have a duty to replace broken, damaged or rotting fencing?

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2009, 11:51 »
not unless its stated in the deeds and it very rarely is . it may be worth reminding them that if the fence falls and anyone is injured or damaged they can be liable for damages . this is where u have to hope nice neighbours .

poultrygeist

« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2009, 12:00 »
Just to play devil's advocate, they may claim that your chickens are damaging the fence and therefore you should contribute to its repair. Might be worth putting something on your side to keep the chickens away from it until it's resolved.

You can ask for advice on this site http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/ where a search may find a similar problem and solution.

Good luck. :)

Rob 8)

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2009, 12:16 »
im with rob on this one . The website he posted the link for shows perfectly the boundary drawings i referred to . However if you damage what turns out o be there fence doing some form of barrier then you are liable . Have you spoken to them about it yet ?

Flowerpower136

« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2009, 12:18 »
Unlike craig my neighbours have been great about our chickens, however I now have a problem with them, but I cannot figure out if it is me being unreasonable or them thoughtless! They have a relatively 'unkept' garden and have put little stones covering the bottom half of their garden, the second half is mainly grass but bordered with wood chip. The problem being that the fence between our gardens I believe to be their responsibility and it is rotton at the bottom, and despite my best efforts to put all sorts up against it the chickens when penned up against that side of the garden are constantly breaking bits off the fence, and pulling through tiny stones and bits of woodchip onto our lawn which I do not want for obvious reasons. So is it my responsibility to prevent the chickens pulling this stuff through which I am trying anyway or should they?? :unsure:

Rob just beat me to it!

If I compare the situation to mine (with a very bad tempered dog), I take the view that it is my responsiblity to make sure that she can't get out of my garden and cause problems.  I must make sure that all boundaries are adequate to keep her in.  Regardless of who owns the fence, the dog is my responsibility.

So, I have to say that I think the 'chicken' element of the boundary might be your responsiblity regardless of who owns the fence?

Can you install a deep solid kickboard on your side.  Wide plank nailed onto stakes in the ground.  Against, but not directly attached to neighbours fence.  

Afterall, fencing comes in many forms.  They could take down that one, and put up post and wire?

xx
Complaining neighbour

Started by woodburner on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post December 23, 2008, 16:00
by poultrygeist
xx
Neighbour had to cull a chicken for me

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post December 08, 2009, 16:21
by karlooben
xx
Neighbour fed baby mice to her hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 12, 2007, 09:47
by purplebat
xx
How do I stop my neighbour feeding my hens

Started by jill247 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 00:13
by jill247

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 39 queries.