neighbour disputes

• 99 Replies

danmegal

Re: neighbour disputes
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2009, 14:27 »
The fence panels were rotten and falling to bits long before we had chickens I think they have just made it worse. I have been putting bits of wood against the bottom of the fence but the chickens somehow still scrape the stones and chippings through! I get on well enough to talk to the neighbours, they just lack thought, they own a patch of land at the bottom of our garden and erected a huge shed blocking our view of open countryside and we never moaned about that, maybe it is about time we had  a chat!

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2009, 14:36 »
Would be worthwhile checking if they got planning permission for the shed if its really big and blocking your views . I would suggest building your own mini fence just your side of the boundary . doesnt have to cost much and hopefully the chickens wont be able to get through the new one

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2009, 15:05 »
Thanks Craig I will check that, pretty sure its theirs tho. Do people have a duty to replace broken, damaged or rotting fencing?

Sadly, not usually. the responsibility is to keep a boundary marker only so three strands of wire would do this.

BUT if anyone has animals (except cats) they must ensure that they cannot get out into someone else's garden. In practical terms, it means it doesn't matter whose fence it is because you have to make sure your chooks are safe and sound in your garden and not able to get out.

If the fence actually is your neighbour's however, they could suggest your birds are damaging their property. If their fence is so rickety it might actually fall on you though, then they must shore it up to keep you safe.

Nothing is ever straightforward
  :ohmy: :ohmy:

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

poultrygeist

« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2009, 15:13 »
If it gets into dispute, it could go on for years, may never be resolved and can end up ruining your health. A compromise is always better than demanding your rights, even if you feel cheated.
As long as you end up with something satisfactory.

Good lcuk with it.

Our deeds don't define our boundaries. Pre planning act. The low wall is slowly falling towards our neighbours side. I mentioned knocking it down and I'd replace with a fence. He nearly died on the spot (both in their 80s) and set about 'propping' it up with concrete blocks, so I used some steel banding to strap it to a detached pillar on our side and left him to it.

Rob 8)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2009, 15:16 »
Poultrygeist is right

--------- better to be happy and have the moral high ground, than right and downright miserable  :mellow: :mellow:

Our neighbour is one from hell, and from personal experience I would advise keeping a civil relationship, as you (and they) might be living there for many, many years  :)

danmegal

« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2009, 16:08 »
Oh blimey I would never let it get to me, thats why we havent mentioned the large shed! They have 3 dogs next door also, the one jumps up the fence and has also contributed to its current state! Bit confused now tho, if my chickens are free ranging in my garden which I only ever do if i am in, and one of their dogs was to get into our garden whos fault would that be?

poultrygeist

« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2009, 16:14 »
Theirs in theory. They have the same responsibility as you that any animal stays on their property.
If your hen stuck her head through the fence and the dog bit it, I think it would be your problem, rather than theirs. I think. ::)

gardenlaw.co.uk is a good place to browse for similar issues. You'd be amazed how nasty some neighbours can be. I've sat with mouth hung open before now after reading some threads.
And of course, the law is not always fair. Or clear. It's largely left to each side to negotiate and reach an agreement. I expect most of it dates back to anglo-saxon laws.

Rob 8)

danmegal

« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2009, 16:24 »
Thanks everyone. I shall just try harder to stop the stones and chippings coming through and carry on ignoring the huge shed, quite right thats the best option  :D

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2009, 17:59 »
your obviously a stronger person than me if your able to ignore a big shed spoiling your view of the countryside as afterall thats one of the reasons planning laws exist to protect us . I applaud you for that . Good luck with the fence too

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2009, 18:33 »
Anglo saxon laws do not allow us to use anglo saxon expletives in public, however  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so best avoid these  ;)

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2009, 18:35 »
Anglo saxon laws do not allow us to use anglo saxon expletives in public, however  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so best avoid these  ;)
Merde. :lol:
Cheese makes everything better.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2009, 18:37 »
Mais oui  :lol: :lol: :lol:

poultrygeist

« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2009, 19:02 »
Ruddy Normans !!  >:(

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2009, 23:06 »
Going back to the original problem of letting the chickens out early or late....we have changed from 6-7ish to 8ish because of the the blooming noisy ducks!
Maybe that could be the answer? Only joking - they is very noisy so we decided to make them all stay in with no nasty effects on the darling chooks. Our allotment is fairly close to some houses and we didn't want to take the risk of upsetting the residents. Nic.

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2009, 07:57 »
chickens noisy, try call ducks they can bellow for England. Subdues the chickens though they cant get a word in edgeways.
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

xx
Complaining neighbour

Started by woodburner on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post December 23, 2008, 16:00
by poultrygeist
xx
Neighbour had to cull a chicken for me

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post December 08, 2009, 16:21
by karlooben
xx
Neighbour fed baby mice to her hens

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 12, 2007, 09:47
by purplebat
xx
How do I stop my neighbour feeding my hens

Started by jill247 on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 00:13
by jill247

Page created in 0.267 seconds with 36 queries.