Building new run - what size mesh?

• 4 Replies

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
Building new run - what size mesh?
« on: August 11, 2009, 12:59 »
Hi everyone, we only got our chooks last Friday so completely new to all this and so far we're loving it!  :tongue2:

The run they have at the moment is a bit small so hubby and I are going to build them a bigger one this weekend. I've been looking on these pages and have gathered the best mesh to get is the welded aviary mesh so I was going to order from Hills of Devon but not sure what size diameter we should get as they have 1.0mm and 1.6mm. Would 1.0mm be thick enough to prevent foxes getting through or should I go for the 1.6mm? Also I was going to order the 1/2" x 1" mesh size, is this ok do you think?

Also how deep should we bury the sides into the ground? I though about 6" but do you think this is enough?

Cheers!
Liz

Flowerpower136

Re: Building new run - what size mesh?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 13:24 »
We got the 1/2" x 1", and it's perfect.  Think  it was 1 mm diameter.  If you can bury it deeper than that, at least 12", better still 18".  We were hampered by tree roots so hammered in wooden posts in a row where we had problems, and used very deep kickboards where we could, and sunk them fairly deep as well.

Another trick is to fold the mesh out, so that if a fox did dry to dig down, they'd just get the claws caught up.  We actually burried strips of off cut mesh in the outer side of the trench around the mesh boundary.  The cut ends are sharp, and would put anything off digging there.

The visible 'pen' is like the tip of an iceberg, all the real work and sweat went into the trenches.  But I think that's the best way.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 15:05 »
hi, we have just built a run of our girls. we got our mesh from hill of devon, have a look on the websit- very cheap and good service :D
we used 1"x1/2" welded mesh....1.6mm thick for the sides and the same, but only 1mm thick for the roof of the run. as regards digging it into the ground, we have dug it down a foot, then we also have a 'skirt' of mesh all the way around tp try and prevent foxes from digging under.hope this helps

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 18:43 »
1mm/19g all around should keep out the most determined of foxes, but remember the strength is also in the fixings to the framework.

Rob 8)

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 12:18 »
Thanks for all your advice guys, very helpful. I'll order the mesh now and hopefully we can make a start on the new run at the weekend  ::)

xx
Size of wire mesh

Started by camelliagirl on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 19:48
by Lastcast
xx
Perch size & Nest box size

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 20:22
by karlooben
xx
How big an L for mesh run?

Started by hillbilly on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 18:03
by hillbilly
xx
Mesh Under Run

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 30, 2009, 23:49
by pushrod

Page created in 0.584 seconds with 36 queries.