Co-habiting in the same plot?

• 16 Replies

KathyM

Co-habiting in the same plot?
« on: August 11, 2009, 08:11 »
Hi folks

I am a complete beginner so please bear with me!

Our new plot is 60ft x 20ft roughly and given that we've decided we want to grow most of the planet's wares on it, we have to narrow it down now.  I was wondering whether any of you could inspire me as to what can be grown in amongst other veg/fruit so as to double up some of the space?  Are there any that do better in this way or is it just pushing my luck?

Thanks

Kathy

crowndale

Re: Co-habiting in the same plot?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 08:14 »
don't do it myself coz I can't stand runner beans, but see loads of people growing lettuce underneath the bean plants while they are growing up their frames.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Dominic

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 08:17 »
Planting two plants next to each other forces them to compete for nutrients, water, sunlight and space.
That gets you two weak plants.

Your unlikely to grow all your veg on it, but you have quite a lot of space there.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 08:23 »
I agree with Dominic !  The spaacings given in the gardening books are there for good reason - not so that you can walk between the plants  ;)

kittiwake

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 08:58 »
Bear in mind that some crops you want to grow wont be filling a particular place on the plot the whole year. First early potatoes and broad beans are examples. When these crops are finished you can then grow something else in their place. That way the ground is kept covered to minimise the weeds and you get to grow more types of veg. The key is in planning where to put everything.

Once my first earlies potatoes were dug up up I stuck in another batch of leeks, though you could easily put something else in the space.

Kitti

KathyM

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 09:03 »
Thanks very much!  :)

I'm way ahead of myself when the plot is brand new and only about 80% cleared, but I feel like I can't plan what to put where without knowing the gardening calendar inside out lol.  All very confusing.  So far I know where one path is going and the greenhouse, and I only know where the greenhouse is going because we've been told where we have to put it by the site manager.   Oh and I know where I want the compost bin.  Urgh, I hate planning!  :lol:

zazen999

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 09:58 »
It's not just about spacing, it is about timing.

I rotate the spuds, and everything else goes in before, after, and around them.

I use a polyculture approach; so that once one thing is out another goes in its space and all the ground has something in it over winter; if not garlic or onions or brassicas, then winter lettuces or a green manure. Or beetroot.

I have small thing in amongst big things, I have short growing things in amongst long growing things [they are gone before the long growing things need all the space]....and onions in any nook and cranny that I can put them in.

Squashes are on the corners of beds so that they grow outwards and along paths.

I always have something sown to replace whatever comes out next. Nothing is too regimented in my plot - it's more of a 'needs must' approach.

If this is your first year of growing ever; I'd recommend doing tons of research on the main say 10 things that you eat; and plan the first year around doing those well. You'll learn more from that than trying to do everything at once. Gardeners need patience amongst all else, so trying to do it all at once won't work.

KathyM

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 10:22 »
Thank you ever so much for your advice.  I was hoping this would give me a key as to how to plan the various areas but I suspect I'll have to do that as I go along lol.  Promise I wasn't trying to rush anything, just get my head around arranging the space.  Even sorting ten things out for next year seems a mammoth task, but I'm sure we can do it!  Thanks again for the advice, I shall take it all on board and it is much appreciated.

johnwoots

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 12:00 »
it has  been my first year of growing this season and like every one, i have had mis-haps and well as good growth.  A good think i did (i admit by accident) was to plant my corn between my courgettes as the corn will grow through the courgette plants.

also i have planted beetroot in between my runner beans as by the time they have gone for the season , the beets will be well on the way to being harvested.

one tip in regards to weeding is be very carefull what you take out as i completely wiped out my turnips!, so i would suggest leaving seedlings to get big enough if you are not too sure!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 14:03 by DD. »

Sue33

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 12:21 »

if you do a search for catch cropping or intercropping on the internet there's some very good information on this way of growing - good luck  :)

KathyM

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 13:49 »
Thank you both very much - I shall look that up.  It's great to get such a range of views, you've all been fab thanks!

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 14:08 »
What a lot of people have found very helpful, and which you could study all winter is this great book:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/book/vegetable-growing-month-book.php

Dominic

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 14:29 »
"one tip in regards to weeding is be very carefull what you take out as i completely wiped out my turnips!, so i would suggest leaving seedlings to get big enough if you are not too sure!"

ACE!!!!

KathyM

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 14:29 »
Thank you very much - does that book differ greatly from his Allotment Guide?  I have read that you see. :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 14:40 »
Thank you very much - does that book differ greatly from his Allotment Guide?  I have read that you see. :)

The book is a must whether you have read the guide or not, I could happily re-read it time and time again, and its usefull to take with you  :lol:

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
new plot taken on

Started by fastmonkey85 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2010, 09:26
by DD.
xx
new plot

Started by 101 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 02, 2006, 17:13
by John

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 37 queries.