Rhubarb disaster

• 12 Replies

johnfh

• Experienced Member
Rhubarb disaster
« on: August 10, 2009, 23:35 »
I planted this new Ruby Red Rhubarb crown in the spring.  It has bever looked particularly happy but now seems to have suffered terminal damage. The leaves have all wilted and turned brown and are reduced to just the main veins with all remnants of the leaves jusat a mass of holes. The stems have wilted too.  Any advice on a possible cause and remedy would be appreciated.  Photograph attached as JPEG file hopefully.

Thanks
rhu1j.jpg
John

8doubles

Re: Rhubarb disaster
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 08:52 »
Did you give the plant a good lot of manure to get started  :), the soil in the photo looks like it has had most of the nutrients taken out by the grass. It may have burnt itself out with the first lot of leaf and have nothing in reserve. If this is the case a bigger hole full of homemade compost or well rotted dung may save it.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 18:38 »
Rhubarb is usually tough as old boots so I'm surprised to see how pathetic yours is. Almost looks like it got hit with something like Roundup, or possibly the amnio stuff that's gotten into manures.

Definitely dig it up now, have a good look at the root tuber and see if it looks healthy. If its firm, then pull off the dying leaves and replant it in another spot, not too deeply, but this time use bagged manure to hopefully ensure this wasn't the original problem. Mound up the hole as well so you don't get sitting water later rotting the tuber. And good luck.

Check this link:

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/rhubarb-growing.html
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 18:50 by Trillium »

devondave

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 21:49 »
that really dont look very good, I think you should plant some new seed and start a couple of new plants so you can get them in the ground by december time, if you want some seed ive got a couple you can have, let me know and I can post them.

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 23:22 »
you plant rhubarb crowns in October/November - planting in the spring will give poor results but the plant will pull round eventually...
Death OR Cake ???

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 23:32 »
Thanks to all for your interest - most encouraging! 

I think lack of sufficient preparation could be part of the problem.  I put manure around it but not underneath.  Will certainly move it and prepare the ground better - there does appear to be a fresh green bud in the centre but this does not show in the photo. 

Will report back next spring!

m1ckz

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 05:47 »
i planted rhubarb from seed im may,i have lots of plants still in pots,so if u need some ill post you a couple,

TTG

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 16:56 »
Surprised the rhubarb has struggled I've always known them to be tough plants (based on family members plots). I've even known a few plants being dug up and left in a pick-up for a week or so then left in plastic bags for a bit longer before being planted in a shaded corner of a garden, hidden behind a compost heap and  a shrub in a small wasted section of the garden where nothing much but grass and weeds seemed to grow. They took off straight away. They were from a rhubarb grower's field that was about to become a road and as such were at the end of their growing season so were probably done in. That was just to show how tough they can be. Of course I guess even the toughest of plants like a little food.

I know of someone with the remains of an outside toilet (earth closet dating from about 3-400 years and a double one too), outside it against the back wall is a really old rhubarb plant. It was really big too. The reason for mentioning it is that there was a tradition for these plants to be outside these facilities for a certain reason. ;) Let's just say they were into recycling back then.  :D Apparently it is supposed to be very good for rhubarb. Wonder if that is a myth or true.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 21:53 »
Want to do a taste test and let us know the results?  ;) :D

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 22:20 »
'When i were a lad' my friends father would empty the contents of the 'gazunder' on the rhubarb every morning and everybody would say what a magnificent bed of rhubarb he had.
I wasn`t keen on rhubarb as a kid , can`t think why . ;)

Mine has to make do with the run-off from the compost heap and is 4ft high at the moment.

devondave

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 23:40 »
Funny you say about the guzzunder, I remember getting very drunk at a friends and threw up all over his rhubarb, the following day his neighbour pinched some of the rhubarb for dessert on the sunday, I didnt say a thing but the neighbour said the rhubarb was really good  :lol:

TTG

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 13:44 »
Well it is not unusual for people subsistence growing to personally add to the soil. Its just us more "civilised" folk over here kind of feel embarrassed about it or that it is unnatural or unclean.

Having said that if I get my allotment tonight (decision and inspection time on my potential first ever plot) I won't be using any of my own natural product on the plants. Although rhubarb has now been added to gooseberries and peas as potential crops. So that is gooseberries, peas and now rhubarb. As you can tell I am just starting out. :D

Hey! Can you propagate rhubarb? Or can you split a plant down to get more plants? Just thinking of a midnight run to my parents the next time they go on holiday as they have a few good, healthy rhubarb plants. Just keep that one under you hats. ;) :D

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 13:58 »
Rhubarb poaching* is easy to do when the plant is dormant just scrape the soil away till you find a narrow neck in the root to cut off.

* Taking without consent not cooking  :D

xx
Disaster after disaster this year

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 00:25
by leeky
xx
Disaster

Started by oggy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2006, 17:25
by John
xx
Oh No! Disaster of not?

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 22:40
by hindy
xx
Oca disaster

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 25, 2014, 11:25
by Markw

Page created in 0.451 seconds with 37 queries.