Possible blight - over-reacted?

• 4 Replies

themoog

• Experienced Member
Possible blight - over-reacted?
« on: August 09, 2009, 19:11 »
Having had blight on my plot (in my first year  :() last summer, I've been keeping a very close eye on this year's crop. Today I noticed yellowing leaves and stems with some brown patches on the leaves, but only on some of the plants. I've not heard any reports of blight on the site, but there are cases in our area.

I couldn't tell for sure whether it was blight or the natural dying back of the foliage so I took the decision to cut off all the haulms just in case. They're all Desiree and had mostly finished flowering.

So...
1) If I've over-reacted unnecessarily, have I damaged the crop (tuber size and so forth)?
2) If it was blight, can the tubers safely stay in the ground for a week or so as I'm going away for a few days?

Maybe it was a bit drastic but I just couldn't face another year of a completely ruined crop  :(.
My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Possible blight - over-reacted?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 19:15 »
If it wasn't blight, then all you've done is reduce the time available for the tubers to grow to maximum size - they'll be fine.

If it was blight, the advice is to leave the spuds in the ground for 10 days or so after cutting down the foliage and before lifting them, so they don't get contaminated by spores left on the soil surface.  So yes, go on hols before lifting them  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 19:32 »
Thanks for that, I was worried that I'd return to mushy tubers!

devondave

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 21:35 »
I grew desiree earlier and thought I had blight so I took all the stems off dug the spuds up (all were an ok size non too small) removed all the bit where they joined the main stem then buried them at about 12" deep, all are still ok and taste really good, the other desiree plants I had in a different place looked like they had blight, dug them up, the spuds were massively over sized and some were blighted, once again buried them for later use, all the blighted stems went in the rubbish and taken to the tip.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 21:38 »
Really pleased that your spuds are ok devon dave, but if you definitely have a significant amount of blight it is a really huge risk to dig up your spuds immediately in order to re-bury them deeper.  By digging them up you are bringing them to the surface and exposing them to the spores in the soil at that level.

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
is it blight?

Started by Eightball on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 14, 2014, 17:35
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Another one on blight...

Started by Chris929 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 28, 2020, 20:03
by Chris929
sad
Blight?

Started by Mitsy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 19:40
by azubah

Page created in 1.199 seconds with 36 queries.