Freezing portion sized amounts.

• 17 Replies

Lardman

Freezing portion sized amounts.
« on: August 09, 2009, 18:42 »
I've been using take-away sized containers to freeze things in then transferring them to freezer bags when they're frozen.

The problem comes when I want just a portion sized amount of something rather than the entire containers worth, mashed parsnip, swede or apple sauce for example.  I was looking at those silicone baking trays that are supposed to be freezer safe. There are some for sale on fleabay about the size of a "3 finger kitkat" which I think would be about right for a portion. Has anyone tried it?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Freezing portion sized amounts.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 18:52 »
I freeze portion sized lumps in muffin trays..werks fer me :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 19:38 »
If you freeze individual items (e.g. peas beans) in a single layer on a baking tray, then you can put them into a bag or box and they don't subsequently clump together - you just take out what you need at a time.

For mash, I have again used a baking container such as a traybake or swiss roll tin, spread it out in the tin, then marked out portions before putting it into the freezer - and once frozen, the portions are easy to separate.

The alternative I have used, is to wrap single portions in clingfilm and freeze them like that.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Poolfield2

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 23:03 »
I use those containers from Makro that look like takeaway containers but shallow and I can eat that amount of veg in one sitting  :ohmy:so it's not a problem :D

titch

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 17:03 »
i use plastic bags mostly - i know they clump together but freeze two portions in each bag so even if it was just me for dinner i could have a large one instead - i dont mind too much if its all clumped together either - but i did open freeze the calabrese - dotn like that mushed together
just keep breathing................

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 18:10 »
Im not to worried about clumps of things like beans, they're easy to fix with a bit of a bash. Its more for things like parsnips and stewed soft fruit. Theres no way I want to it a container full of mashed parsnip all in one go.  ::)

I was worried about using the metal trays in case it had a bad reaction with the acid in the fruit..... or am I just being paranoid?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 19:31 »
Freeze 'em then tip into placcy bag..simples :lol:

Highfield

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 19:48 »
I use different sized plastic tubs depending on how much I want - but line them with a placcy bag first.  Then you take out the frozen "bricks" which stack very well or go into one larger placcy bag so they dont get lost in the bottom of my freezer  -  and reuse the expensive plastic tubs.   I do this for all sorts of mashed stuff and for soups and stews as well  - oh and for omelette mix for the winter when the girls are producing more than I can eat!

Debz

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 10:14 »
I use smaller tubs and once they are frozen, tip them all into one bag.  A bit of a knock separates them again and you can use as many or as few as you want.  For something like apple sauce, ice cube trays are really good because if you are eating on your own you only need one cube of sauce and then nothing is wasted.

Spana

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 15:52 »
I freeze small portions in small supermarket own brand freezer bags, 50p for 50 bags, suck the air out and tie the tops.  When frozen pack as many as you can get  into a  big better quality freezer bag.  I try and keep the food the same sort in each big bag.   Makes it easier to find stuff.
I take out of the freezer what I need and cut the top of the cheap bag.

madcat

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 18:16 »
........   and reuse the expensive plastic tubs. 

And what is wrong with the nice cartons that olive spread/marg/cream/cottage cheese comes in??   :blink:  Spend real (beer) money on plastic cartons?   ???  Wash and re-use and re-use and ... recycling the original way!   :D

(Did I hear 'mean' and 'tightwad' from the back??  Frugal is the politically correct word, I'll have you know ...   :nowink:)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

titch

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 21:40 »
i do this too madcat, but bags are the way to go for veggies in this house as the marge containers get used for chili, curry etc
drive my hubby mad with the desire to save all containers

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 22:08 »
My veg go into cheapo freezer bags.  If you dry the veg thoroughly they don't "clump".  The bags are just twisted to seal which means they can be re-used.
Cheese makes everything better.

madcat

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 13:37 »
i do this too madcat, but bags are the way to go for veggies in this house as the marge containers get used for chili, curry etc   drive my hubby mad with the desire to save all containers

Do you have a cupboard - which when you open it up, all these plastic pots fall out?   :wub:  That really winds him up ......... :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 19:17 »
I do, and yes they all fall out, and yes it drives me mad  :D

xx
GIGANTIC OVER SIZED MARROWS!!!!

Started by Mary Poppins on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 21:40
by Growster...
xx
re freezing

Started by flitwickone on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2012, 19:46
by Trillium
xx
Freezing Veg

Started by Mr Trembly on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2011, 22:18
by suziet88
xx
Freezing veg

Started by Grubbypaws on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 01:01
by Trillium

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 38 queries.