Charlotte potatoes cooking problems!

• 24 Replies

BENTON1704

Charlotte potatoes cooking problems!
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:10 »
hi, can anyone help me , i am having problems when i boil my charlotte potatoes, they always break up and go to mush, tried scraping and leaving skins on but no difference, i stand over them and as soon as they are cooked they break up! Help please!!

Swing Swang

Re: Charlotte potatoes cooking problems!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:18 »
Steam them rather than boil.
Grow a different variety next year (Sarpo varieties do this too).

SS

violet61

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 09:55 »
I steamed mine & they were just ok, my fault, got distracted! previous to that I roasted them with a little butter...gorgeous :) I ll be growing them nxt year, tasted lovely!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 10:01 »
Grow a different variety next year

You can't do that!  :ohmy:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Penny Finn

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 10:25 »
I put the same question earlier in the year.  I had the same problem with last year's crop yet the ones I buy in the supermarket stay whole!  The outside skins of mine flaked off completely - is that what happens to yours?
Someone advised me that I hadn't watered enough so this year I have been more careful.  So far the new crop have been much better, though not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.  I have also tried cooking them in a little (eggcup) water in the microwave for about 4 minutes and that seems to keep them whole too, most of the time.  I am reluctant to give up growing Charlotte as they are so lovely!  Good luck anyway
Gardening Granny
Gardening Granny

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 10:29 »
How long are you cooking them for? Should only take 5 ish mins if small or cut small (about the size of a golf ball). As soon as they start breaking up you have overcooked them. Test using a sharp knife or skewer. They should feel firm but the point should easily pierce the potato when cooked. They are a firm waxy potato.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

BENTON1704

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 10:44 »
yes the outside of the potatoe totally breaks up, i have had no means to water my allotment though i think they really needed some earlier in season (doesnt need it now though), i am boiling until a sharp knife will go through the potatoe and as soon as this happens they break up, i think i might try the steaming method, thanks for all replies.

:)

tode

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 10:53 »
We found that when theyre young they tend to go mushy when boiled, but steamed v. good.
When theyre more mature, no problem.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 12:42 »
I just have to add that i've not had this problem with mine, was quite surprised by it :blink:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 14:22 »
I just have to add that i've not had this problem with mine, was quite surprised by it :blink:

me too, but my Charlottes were in tubs, so that might have made a difference.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 14:28 »
My experience of Charlottes is that when small they stay intact even if you seriously overcook them.

However, when more than about a large hen's egg size they tend to break up on the outside even when boiled gently.

I find microwaving very successful and quicker than steaming; place spuds in a single layer in a covered microwaveable container, no water, with or without a sprig of mint, and microwave for between 2 and 4 minutes depending on how many you are cooking. Allow to rest, if they are still a bit firm just give them another minute or so. Easy!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

bluealf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 17:20 »
Yes the bigger oval charlottes burst on boiling for me also, i just took them off the heat 5/7mins before i thought they should be ready and left them in the pan with lid on and they have been fine since.

I will be having these next year.
Carlisle

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 19:21 »
Totally agree about steaming.  It is also said that they break up less if you cook them a couple of days after harvest, rather than immediately
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 19:23 »
Boil or steam until the knife only begins to go in.  You will think they're still pretty raw, but drain them then put them straight back into same hot pan and cover with lid for about 5 mins - will continue to cook through until perfect.  I tried this after about 3 failed efforts to stop them breaking up!

I've got a stupid question though - when people talk about salad potatoes, what do they mean?  Surely all potatoes require some cooking?!  :wub:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 19:31 »
For a salad you need a waxy potato, that doesn't fall apart even though it is cooked. Then you can stir your mayo or garlicky oil/vinegar dressing in without it all turning into a soggy mess........soooooo annoying when that happens. cold oily mash :( instead of gorgeous  potato salad :)

xx
Charlotte potatoes

Started by gadd2508 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2020, 15:17
by jambop
xx
Charlotte potatoes

Started by FRUITFULL on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 23:55
by sclarke624
xx
Charlotte potatoes

Started by Penny Finn on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 21:56
by David.
xx
charlotte potatoes

Started by westcork on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 21:56
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.794 seconds with 38 queries.