Is it safe to make a hen 'sick'?

• 4 Replies

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
Is it safe to make a hen 'sick'?
« on: August 07, 2009, 20:51 »
One of our girls has had an on and off problem with sour crop. She's been to the vet and was given anti fungal drops. The sour crop settles down and then recurs now and again. The odd thing is that she arrived with three other girls all from the same place and they have all been 'sour crop free.' I read somewhere that you can gently tip the bird and empty the squishy crop accumulation out through the beak but that there's a chance of the hen choking? I wondered if anyone had successfully tried this and if the risk of her choking is a possibility? She's looking really uncomfortable this evening and we are hoping that it will all pass through her in the usual way!  :(

Jan.

poultrygeist

Re: Is it safe to make a hen 'sick'?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 21:13 »
Yes !!  :D

One of ours had a sour crop recently.
I sat down with a bucket between my legs. Held her upside down-ish but more on her side with her head pointing down into the bucket and gently stroked her crop down towards the head. She didn;t like it but soem liquid did dribble out and the bloating reduced. I repeated it after a few hours, gave her bio-yoghurt and some very wet crushed up pellets and by morning she was back to normal.

Rob 8)

archiesgems

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 21:23 »
Hi Jan

You can clear the crop, I use 10 ml of warm olive oil which i put into their crop with a needle-less syringe, then i gently massage the crop laying the hen on her side so that her head points down you gently push the contents of the crop out, the remaining oil left in the crop will let her pass the rest naturally, once done give live yogurt in her water for 24 hours, this will help her recoup

best of luck
Jay

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 21:32 »
I forgot about the oil  ::)

I used liquid parafin instead but same effect.  :)
Not too much oil. It can put strain on their kidneys. I think.

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 21:38 »
Thank you Rob and Jay for both of your very helpful replies  :) I feel much more confident about tipping her gently and emptying her crop now that I've read them. I imagine it's one of those things that once you've done it gets easier each time. I will try in the morning now as they have all settled down for the night. I'll be careful about not too much oil and think the vet used liquid parafin for the same effect? I have some live yoghurt in the fridge and will give that a go too.

Thank you again, Jan.

xx
Cat safe age?

Started by curries on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 19:56
by evie2
xx
another is it safe question

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 25, 2009, 08:37
by bexy
xx
Hawthorne... is it safe?

Started by violet on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 13:46
by 8doubles
xx
?safe weedkillers

Started by Tiggersmate on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 08:35
by Sassy

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 36 queries.