Why less eggs?

• 9 Replies

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
Why less eggs?
« on: August 07, 2009, 20:29 »
My five hybrids, have these last few days gone from laying five a day to four, then three and today only two  :( Though yesterday I did get four. They are approx fifteen months old.

I've treated them for lice, which they didn't have too badly. I seem to have zapped all the blighters  :) The two I definitely know are still laying hardly had the lice at all.

Their feathers are growing back nicely on their bald bottoms, after sorting out a feather pecker (beak bit on a much calmer Amber Star 'Lettuce')

What would be causing the drop in eggs  ??? Would their energies be going into regrowing feathers or would that only be happening with a moult. Or would it be the after affect of having lice  ???

« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 23:23 by SarahJC »
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
Re: Why less eggs?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 23:25 »
Any ideas anyone?  :wub:

They are in fine fettle otherwise. Only two eggs today from five hens  :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 06:55 »
Perhaps they may be coming up for a moult, they are about the right age for that (although it is a little bit early in the year), if this is the case then all their energy will be going into that. If they had mites that would have affected them. Have you checked their coop for red mite? If they are free ranging or have a large run are they laying anywhere else - under bushes under their coop etc?
Staffies are softer than you think.

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 08:38 »
One of my ladies used to pop over the fence and lay her eggs in the compost, we have also found them in the middle of stinging nettles and even in amonst a pile of rocks. mine tend to got through odd patches of not laying so many for no apparent reason but soon seem to get back to it. Has anything scared them to put them of the lay?
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 09:15 »
Sarah, I've just logged on to ask exactly the same question.  So hope you don't mind me tagging on to your post.

I've my my 8 ex batts just one week.  Started with an astonishing 8 eggs (inc l soft shell) on the first day home........which obviously I knew couldn't be sustained, and wouldn't want it to be........these girls have now got their lives to live afterall::)

But just like you, a steady decline, and yesterday down to 3.  Given that they are only just settling in and adjusting to life with me, I'm not to worried.........

They are understandably a bit threadbare,  but definately regrowing feathers, and overall condition has improved already. Lovely fluffy white underwear and those with outer clothing are starting to have a bit of gloss!  Though this morning they all look like drowned rats.......first heavy rain since they've been here.

Also, the Red Arrows very inconsiderately flew over low yesterday afternoon (a twin V formation), so we all got a bit of a fright. 

All are happy, active, eating, pooing, preening (lots of preening going on), and generally having a fine old time.  So if yours are the same, I don't think I'd be worrying just yet........ but waiting keening to see what the expert peeps say :unsure: ::)

cochin

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 11:01 »
I've got 120  hens and yesterday I got ------6 eggs :mad: they're either moulting some still broody or also I do have some breeds that aren't known for their egg production  - it always happens at this time of year, but as for the ex-batts flowerpower, It's fairly common that ex-batts lay for a while after you get them and then stop, it's a complete change of life for them, give them time to get used to their surroundings and you'll soon have an abundance of eggs :)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 12:03 »
There you go!  Nothing to worry about :lol:

6 eggs from 120 hens!!!!!! I feel heaps better :lol:

Just been down to do a poo patrol, and checked for eggs, etc. And found 3 in the same nest box, when I only thought there was 1.  There were 2 hidden under the straw in the corner.  Sneaky little whatsits :D

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 12:18 »
Thanks for the replies  :D

I've been out with my little torch couple of times in the dark coop looking for red mite, like someone from CSI and no sign of them  :D

I also thought it was a bit early for a moult  ???

They are happy as larry though  :D Three eggs today

Flowerpower, don't mind you tagging on at all  :D Hugs to your hens, bless them  :D

cochin

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 17:37 »
There is no fixed time to moult either, My Araucanas have been moulting on and off since May :mad: the big fluffies have started a duvet factory at the mo and some of the little bantys never have a complete moult they just loose a feather here and there from tome to time

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 17:41 »
A lot of my older "ladies" have slowed right down, as well as the ducks, who I think will probably stop in a week or two :) Moulting??? yep feathers everywhere! and my biggest cock bird is missing his lovely plumed tail and is quite grumpy with it! :D :D

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 29 queries.