injured bird help please

• 17 Replies

ehs284

injured bird help please
« on: August 07, 2009, 19:51 »
At the beginning of the week one of our birds came to the door in a bad way. We think that she had had an encounter with a buzzard. one puncture on her right hand side and on the left a large area of missing skin and feathers. The muscle could be seen. We gave her asprin and put wound powder on the tissue, washed the surroundings with TCP and then put a wound dressing over the top. The following day we redressed the wound having cut away the damaged feathers which were stuck in. She is recovering and eating (Alaskan wild salmon!) and drinking. Yesterday's dressing is still in place and doesn't seem to bother her. She is sleeping in the warm kitchen but get up in the morning to lay an egg. Now the questions:
Should we wash away the wound powder with saline or leave it alone and if washed should we apply powder again?
Should we keep dressing the wound as we would for humans - and how do we stop her pecking at herself if we don't (a collar?)?
When the skin starts to grow again she will have an area without feathers; will this be a problem and will it tempt the others to peck her? Is there anything we should do?
Any other help welcomed. We haven't been to the local vet as they were no help when we had a sick bird and feel sure that they would have suggested euthanasia.
Many thanks in advance.

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
Re: injured bird help please
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 20:37 »
So sorry to hear about your poor hen  :(

When I had a problem with a feather pecker, she tore off a patch of skin on one of my other hens, about the size of a fifty pence piece. I put wound powder on it regularly and checked on it daily and kept an eye on her. The skin grew back surprisingly quickly and she now just has a little nodule of skin which is just scar tissue.

Sorry I can't be much more help. I hope she makes a speedy recovery. Are there any other vets you could try in your area?
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 20:53 »
Thanks Sarah, That's reassuring. No other vets I'm afraid, so it's a matter of relying on people like you

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 21:09 »
Hi. I'd be tempted to keep cleaning it but I've never been in that position. Can I suggest savlon instead of TCP ?
I've heard that TCP can be a bit harsh due to other ingredients but savlon is gentle.

If you can get hibiscrub, even better. TMG has had experience of wound dressing. She may be able to advise.

Rob 8)

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 22:06 »
Me again  :D

Gentian Violet spray is a good antiseptic too.

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 22:11 »
I have not had anything that sever, but I would keep it dry and change dressings daily, apply more powder if needed. I use hydrogen peroxide solution (3%) on wounds for us and animals ( vets use it) any dirt or bacteria it foams and cleans it out. It can sting but you dont get any infection after using it.
If shes laying she is feeling well on your treatment, Alasken wild samon and a warm kitchen what lovely treatment.
she will want to clean her feathers just let her, she will know to avoid the damage aera a collar would stress her out, I had a collar on a dog who, went frantic, and ripped it off.
She is so lucky to be with you and alive.

happychickens

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 22:17 »
Hi - when my cock bird ripped the sides of one of my hens and off to the vets it went on her return she was fine with the stitching for a day or so then started pecking and causing it to bleed, I found that dabbing the scab area with some of the dogs tea tree antiseptic cream or savlon I found she and the other chickens did not like the taste of it so it healed enough for the feathers to start surrounding it and then they did not bother :tongue2: Good luck

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 09:44 »
Hello all,
Very many thanks for your advice and suggestions. Last night we took off her dressings and could see just how (?) lucky she'd been. The two claw marks are well into one leg and the skin gone from breast to backbone with another claw mark on the other side. Lots of missing feathers.
We bathed the whole area with warm dilute savlon and let her dry in the sun then put on lots of powder but did not put on a dressing. She spent the night in the kitchen again. This morning she is very stiff and limping badly, but has groomed herself and not pecked the wounds. She has breakfasted on salmon cake and is lying in the sun. The others are treating her normally and no pecking. Will update. Now to see if there is anything for me to eat - it won't be salmon, she's had it all.

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 10:29 »
Vets (and doctors for humans) tend to use saline ie salt water for cleaning wounds from horses down to pet mice. It closely resembles, if not too strong, the liquid the animals own body produces to protect a damaged area. Wound powder can be very drying and may not aid healing if used too much. I would be tempted to use purple spray as that will help the keep the flies off as well.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ehs284

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 20:04 »
Hello all,
Once again thank you. Since the last message we have left the wound under powder but uncovered. There seem to be two developing problems
She is limping and not putting any weight on one leg. It is bruised with a purple areas and was punctured but is not badly swollen as would be expected from a break - and she was walking on it when she first came back. Is this just the bruising and muscle damage? We have put gel on it to try and ease the pain (assuming that it must be painful) . The feathers around were broken and stuck so these we've cut back. She is not pecking but grooms herself a little.
The second problem is that she seems to have lost interest in things. She stands or lies in the same place for hours. She is eating; we spoon feed her with baked beans, porridge and corn. She is drinking. We've given her ibuprofen diluted of course via a syringe to her beak. Some has gone in. Her eyes are bright, her poo is a bit wet, but not exceptional. She seems to like being stroked but is easily panicked. She can only make a quiet squeaking noise. She is still sleeping in the kitchen and doesn't object to going to bed early.
First thoughts are that she is in shock and the bruising and damaged muscle is slowly repairing so that with TLC she will be OK, but your comments would be most welcome.

Foxy

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 20:15 »
clean wounds with tepid saline water and dress with germoline. She will need peace and quiet and by the sounds of the wounds a quick check by a vet and antibiotics. The vet may prescribe an antiinflammatory to ease her stiffness and pain of the wounds. :)

ehs284

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 20:57 »
Thanks Foxy, we'll do that.

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 21:49 »
have you tried a hard boiled egg or cat food with porrage oats mine like that.
the painkiller will sedate her not a bad idea the quieter she is the better, the pain on movement even to chat would be bad.
salvon use to do a antiseptic spray it was like a iodine spray and dried in a powder form that was good.
I would keep the wounds dry and let the natural healing take place and only treat if they started to weep.
I am sure in a couple of weeks she will be fine with tlc. I am not surprised she gets paniced  after what shes been through a trip to the vets could stress her out even more.
There are online vets you could email or ring if you dont have a farm vet near you.

ehs284

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 21:54 »
Once again our thanks for the help. Went to vets this morning. Same practice, but different vet. This chap really seemed to have some interest - the last lady put me off as she just didn't seem to either care or know.  Decided try treatment until Friday, if no great improvement the euthanase. Hen (now known as Steve - from Steve in The Great Escape) has had injections of antibiotics and anti inflammatory and tonight I gave her the first of three oral antibiotics. She is asleep in the kitchen, has eaten and seems more relaxed.
Will update. Thanks again folks.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 22:11 »
hi, im really sorry about your girl, ive got everything crossed she recovers for you. we have a girl with ba broken wing at the moment and a bad leg. she has a huge bright green bruise that covers her leg, we have been putting arnica on for the brusing. she had a really nasty break that the vet thought wouldnt heal on its own, but seems to be, she went off her food, and seemed shocked and not interested in anything. we have found she LOVES her mash, made with warm water, manuka honey and cranberries or rasins mixed in. dont get me wrong i would not give it all the time, this has really been a stop gap, just to get her to eat (it worked) sometimes i mixed in a little bit of bio youghurt, or ripped up dandelion leaves, i really think that has helped her , because she wasnt eating. im a very new chicken owner so i would probably check with someone more experianced than me, ut i think when they arnt eaing you will try anything. good luck, im keeping everything crossed for you x

xx
Injured Hen

Started by NATHAN on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2007, 14:18
by alan42
xx
Injured leg

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 14:21
by Jeanette
xx
Injured leg

Started by Pencrugmawr on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 15, 2012, 09:10
by joyfull
xx
MY INJURED HEN

Started by JMF on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 15:22
by kegs

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 36 queries.