Yin and yang...

• 3 Replies

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Yin and yang...
« on: August 07, 2009, 12:25 »
Not very impressed..... :(

The tops of my pots had died down to a yellow, with some even beginning to rot so I thought no chance of any more growth - get them up!

I've dug half of the plants up (about 6?) and only have about 1/3 of a hassian bag of potatoes....is this normal? got about 5 or 6 pots from each plant I guess?  :( The plants on the front of the bed are not as yellow as the half I dug up so they're being left in place after a stern word about their poor yield!

well...they're dug now and I even dug up the Garlic which was put in VERY late (May) and have some nice sized bulbs! So although I went for pots I came back with some Garlic which was planted with no expectations. I have some small bulbs, can these be kept for re-planting in Nov? or do they need to be a good size???
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 13:34 by noshed »

Trillium

Re: Yin and yang...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 17:44 »
Its not unusual to get only a few spuds per plant. For the space they demand, their relative yield is poor. With time and working the soil, your yields will improve (just remember to rotate or you'll have problems). Wherever you plant them, they need the heavy application of old manure or they just won't perform. People with poor soil can benefit from growing a green manure on the previous year's spot as well (winter rye, etc) to loosen and enrich the soil. As for the rotting, could be too much rain, which means you'll need to watch next year's crop and soon as they've flowered and begin to die back, you'll need to get them up as there'll be no more growth underground.

Same with garlic.
The bulbs you want to plant for next year do need a short rest before planting, which could be late September or early October. As for bulb size to plant, we've all had varying success with both small and large cloves so mark out areas where you'll plant smaller and larger cloves and next year note what sort of yield you get from each.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 14:36 »
Cheers Trillium!

Think I may have another bash at pots, get some new pots in for Christmas?

:D

SG6

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 18:58 »
Other then the size I would have said that 5-6 per plant was fair. Others may get more but I suspect just as many will get fewer.  :ohmy: :ohmy:
Planted some last year and I doubt I managed 2 decent ones per plant.  :( :(

I have reverted to planting in large pots/tubs as I do not need a lot and find I get better overall results.

clip
Yin yang

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 04, 2015, 21:51
by Salmo
xx
Ying Yang and Pea bean

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 14, 2011, 10:26
by Quetzal
xx
FRENCH BEAN YIN YANG

Started by WHITE LADY on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 10:52
by muntjac
xx
bush shell beans [ying and yang]

Started by ziggy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2008, 09:33
by CZ Silhouette

Page created in 0.678 seconds with 37 queries.